Bridgeprort retrofit, Mach 3 controller, 20a 48v transformer, 3 servo's and 3 G320's.

I was cutting out a broken tap using a carbide endmill, I set the jog rate to .7ipm because I was trying to save the part, more or less just trying to grind out the tap and save the threads.

Well, the servo tripped, I reset it, tried again, it tripped again, I reset it again, one more time and then NOTHING... The Z axis won't move. I can reset the servo's and the X and Y work fine, but the Z won't move.

The other wierd thing is when I power up the power supply, the servo's automatically engage???

I'm 99% sure it's the drive because if I disconnect the encodor, the servo does not try to run away, there is still no movement. And with the servo and encodor disconnected, the other two drives engage and disengage fine.

So did I blow the servo drive running too much amperage on a servo at too slow of a speed? I've been using the servo's and drives with absolutely no problem for 18 months. Or is that just the life expectancy of the servo drive? I use the machine atleast 40 hours a week every week, no problems.

And I did try the Z axis servo and encodor on the X axis drive and the quill works fine.

Was it a freak thing? Did I move the servo too slow at max amperage? Or was it just the life expectancy?

I did order 2 new drives, one to replace the bad drive and another for a back-up from Gecko Drive, ordered at the last minute and they still over-night shipped it! Have to love thier customer service!

MC