588,126 active members*
4,580 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad-Cam capability question

BobCad-Cam capability question

Quick question.

I have a full 3D part that has a surface with some holes perpendicular to the surface, a boss feature on the surface and the main body of the part is a surface type profile.

Can BC allow me to select each of the individual features and select a tool and create a path for a given feature? I have tried Vectric Cut3D but it only allows a roughing and finishing tool path for the entire surface of the the 3D part (surfaces, pockets, bosses and all the above) using only one tool, I can not recognize an individual feature. It is like an all or nothing thing. Can BC allow me to select the holes, machine those, then machine the boss, then come back to machine the profile (with Ball end tool) and then machine the profile?

I have a colleague with similar parts that is successful using a program called Visual Mill, so I know it is possible, but I think Visual Mill costs a lot more than BC?

Anyhow, hopefully my question is clear. I am still a Newbie, so I may not be phrasing everything correctly.

Thanks!

Hi cpy911,

if you could post a sample, I'll try and let u know with the screen shot

Hi,

I think the essential answer to your question is yes. I too came at 3D machining via 2D (Vectric Cut2D - excellent program!) and then started looking at Meshcam and the likes for 3D. My view is that for "real" engineering components (at least the sort I am involved with) you need to step up to CADCAM programs if your machining is to be at all efficient - even sensible.

I am still very much on a learning curve with BobCad-Cam, but using it I can identify specific geometries for machining and then set boundaries to constrain the tool path to specific areas of the job. Having done this you can then select appropriate machining strategies for those areas using appropriate tooling. As an example a current job utilises a 1/2" ball nose mill for the initial "advanced roughing" pass - I then drop to a 3/8" ball nose for the first "rest roughing" pass - ie picking up those bits (and only those bits) that the big tool can't get into - I then follow this up with two further roughing passes with progressively smaller tools before the 1/8" ball nose finishing tool path.
    To me it sounds like you need Cad-Cam, I have not been dissapointed in BobCad-Cam - frustrated once or twice, confused now and then, but with the support of BobCad and this excellent forum you will be fine.
    Ian

Sample image of what I am trying to do

Quote Originally Posted by Sri-09 View Post
    Hi cpy911,

if you could post a sample, I'll try and let u know with the screen shot
    Here is an image showing and example of what I am trying to machine. I want to machine the surface, but leave the boss alone. I will need to also drill/mill the hole as well.

The boss is sitting on a surface that will have to be done with ball end mill.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Machine Boss and Surface and Hole.JPG  

You'll have to put a radius around the bottom of that boss where it meets the 3D surface otherwse it will require a trip to the conventional, sink, EDM machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jmullett View Post
    You'll have to put a radius around the bottom of that boss where it meets the 3D surface otherwse it will require a trip to the conventional, sink, EDM machine.
    Doh. You are right, it will be the radius of my cutter.

put the radius in

Smile Capability Bob cad/cam

Hi cpy911.

I had some toolpaths for you to have a look. Its just a sample,I have done it in 3 process using Z-Level roughing and Equidistant offset.
    You can have alook at that screenshot in attached file. Toolpaths can be seen in different colours.
    I am a new user of Bobcad/cam, and I love it. More over Its easy to learn it yourself (If you got interest and put in a lot of effort). Hope this will help you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sri-09 View Post
    Hi cpy911.

I had some toolpaths for you to have a look. Its just a sample,I have done it in 3 process using Z-Level roughing and Equidistant offset.
    You can have alook at that screenshot in attached file. Toolpaths can be seen in different colours.
    I am a new user of Bobcad/cam, and I love it. More over Its easy to learn it yourself (If you got interest and put in a lot of effort). Hope this will help you.
    Cool! By the looks of it, I think Bobcad/cam can do what I am thinking!

Thanks!