588,076 active members*
5,025 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCAD-CAM Unethical Company, Okay Software?
Page 1 of 4 123

BobCAD-CAM Unethical Company, Okay Software?

I am the lead designer and machinist for a manufacturing company. BobCAD has pushy salesmen and they just want your money (like all do, the question is ethics). They show you an online tutorial, in which they rush through pre-made examples to make their software seem easy and robust. Once they have your money and you start to try and use their software you realize it is not as seamless, easy or as robust as you had hoped. I've worked with and talked with many professionals in the machining industry and all confirm that BobCad software is cheap compared to other softwares for a reason - it is a total headache to use and the company only wants you to continue to dump more and more money into their software for support and add-ons in hopes of fixing problems and your headaches. I promise you that if you use their software you will regret it and end up banging your head against the wall. They also never provide refunds, not matter what. Do not believe their sales team if they tell you about money back returns. They will throw legal documents in your face that they don't mention before you buy it. BobCAD Inc. uses a dumbed down version of higher priced software and code (I will not mention the name of the other company in order to keep this rant from seeming like a sales pitch for other software) and repackages it under their brand. They just want your money and they do not care about their reputation or you as a customer. Unethical company, mediocre software. If they work for you then more power to ya! I'm staying away.

Re: BobCAD-CAM Terrible Company, Terrible Software

Oh I don't know, I rather like the V25 4 Axis I bought, I got a great deal, it was excellent value for money and is very capable software.

I did try the demo, then the fully functional 5 day trial and I worked through some of Al's excellent After Dark video tutorials to ensure the things I wanted would be possible before making my purchase.

The salesman I dealt with is Kevin, he's a brilliant guy, part of the reason he got my money is that he's helpful, cheerful, polite and not the least bit pushy.

I think it's always a good idea to try stuff out yourself and base your decision on that rather than someone else's demonstration, if you'd done your research and asked here first then the guys here would definitely have been able to tell you what the license level you were considering would and wouldn't be able to do for you, and show you how if you asked nice ;-)

- Nick

Quote Originally Posted by magicniner View Post
    Oh I don't know, I rather like the V25 4 Axis I bought, I got a great deal, it was excellent value for money and is very capable software.

I did try the demo, then the fully functional 5 day trial and I worked through some of Al's excellent After Dark video tutorials to ensure the things I wanted would be possible before making my purchase.

The salesman I dealt with is Kevin, he's a brilliant guy, part of the reason he got my money is that he's helpful, cheerful, polite and not the least bit pushy.

I think it's always a good idea to try stuff out yourself and base your decision on that rather than someone else's demonstration, if you'd done your research and asked here first then the guys here would definitely have been able to tell you what the license level you were considering would and wouldn't be able to do for you, and show you how if you asked nice ;-)

- Nick
    magicniner - I'm glad you had a better experience than myself and many others who have worked with them and their software. All I can say is compared to other software and service teams, this is a joke. I also appreciate your point about asking people on here, I will definitely do so in the future. I am a new member. I did the demo and spoke with helpful, knowledgeable reps as well. Problem lies in their honesty and customer service protocols. I'm sure all the people at the company aren't bad, just some of the owns I had to deal with. To each is own. Thanks again for the feedback. Cheers

Most people who don't like the CAD side feel that way because it's not an "Autocad-alike" and at that point spit the dummy, throw the toys out of the pram and make no serious effort to learn the software.
    Many BobCad users use a different CAD package and just use the CAM side because it still represents excellent value.
    If you have the software you could stick around and see if you can't make it work for you,

- Nick

To clarify I was using the plugin for Solidworks for certain claimed features. It's not my problem anymore. I just wanted to give people a heads up to proceed with caution if they so chose to use BobCad-Cam software. I am extremely happy with the CAM software I'm now using. It is pro grade. You get what you pay for! Thanks again for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by cadcampro5000 View Post
    To clarify I was using the plugin for Solidworks for certain claimed features.
    Unless you are specific about the shortcomings you have experienced then you are simply having a rant and informing no one, most rants I've seen here end with a demonstration from a competent user of that which has been stated to be impossible.

It would have been clear you were talking about the plugin for solidworks if you had posted in the BobCam for solidworks forum - http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bobcam-for-solidworks-/ rather than here in the BobCad-CAM forum;-)
    Regards,
    - Nick

Got to a Brain that works good and all software takes an investment in time

Between Me and many others,we could probably solve all your problems

I personally have made a ton of parts over the years

Load a .zip of a ,bbcd file and ask away

JSYK,,,I own my own show,,that means I wear a lot of Hats everyday,,,,including design,engineering,reverse engineering,manual machines,CAD/CAM,,,,accounting,purchasing,and also CNC ,,,also the janitor,,,salesman,,bill collector,,,,,,,If Bob was that big of a pile of crap,,,,I certainly would not of stuck with it for 8 years,,,,,Very busy person I am

jrmach - I'm in the same boat you are. Owner of a small company. Not enough time in the day to waste on things that don't work as promised. I guess I got spoiled before I tried BobCad. I agree, once you learn a certain program it is easy to stick with it. I have no problems making all the parts for my company, programming them, programming for assemblies, nesting, etc. posting and cutting them with my current software so the technical expertise is not the problem. I just don't use BobCAD and I don't have it loaded anymore on my pc. If you do and it works for you that's all that matters. To each is own. I posted this as a rant for a reason. Thank you for your feedback and willingness to help. Cheers.

magicniner - I'm sure the software works within certain limitations and it obviously works for you. I'm not questioning that. I posted it under bobcad-cam and not under bobcam for solidworks because I never needed help with a technical issue. It's simple - I was promised one thing and delivered another. This is a rant about a customer service/company level issue, not a specific technical issue with a given software package. Think of it as a company review. If people, including yourself think otherwise or want to disregard my review/rant that is absolutely fine. Everyone has the right to like/dislike use/not use whatever they want. Thanks for your feedback.

I was promised one thing and delivered another

Not much of a Rant or Review unless you care to share wtf it is that has your panties bunched up ????

Haha!! Do you guys work for them or something? You are taking this awfully serious and personal. Let me spell it out if my original post is not clear...THE SALES DUDE, EDDIE, EITHER LIED OR TOLD ME MISS-INFORMATION. HE PROMISED IF IT DID NOT WORK I COULD GET A REFUND WITHIN 45 DAYS. I ASKED FOR REFUND, GOT CONFIRMATION FROM THEIR TECH SUPPORT THAT IT DID NOT WORK AS PROMISED, WAITED 2 WEEKS FOR REFUND, MY COMPANY WAS REFUSED A REFUND, TRIED TO WORK WITH THEM, I WAS IGNORED AND PROVIDED LEGAL DOCUMENTATION OF REFUND POLICY( THAT WAS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT THE SALES GUY AND THE LADY WHO TOOK MY CREDIT CARD SAID/PROMISED), WHICH BASICALLY HAS SO MANY CONDITIONS THERE IS NO REFUND POLICY. STILL NOT CLEAR? I HAD A REALLY ****TY EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH THE COMPANY. If you didn't that is great for you and others! I am sincerely happy that they work for some people and they are not just a completely fraudulent company.

Let me know how and I'll change the Title of this rant to 'Terrible Company, Okay software?'

I am the lead designer and machinist for a manufacturing company. BobCAD has pushy salesmen and they just want your money.

<snip>

BobCAD Inc. uses a dumbed down version of higher priced software and code (I will not mention the name of the other company in order to keep this rant from seeming like a sales pitch for other software) and repackages it under their brand. They just want your money and they do not care about their reputation or your as a customer. Terrible company, terrible software. Stay away!!
    Feel free to mention the higher priced software. It is called Moduleworks and it isn't "repackaged", it's "licensed" for use by 3rd party vendors. To my knowledge Moduleworks doesn't sell their own brand of software, just licensing for the toolpath, simulation, and a few other things. It is then developed by CAM software companies such as BobCAD-CAM and Mastercam and a host of others: Partners who work with ModuleWorks CAD/CAM components

All CAM software companies and their sales people want your money, that's what they do! But that's a far cry from saying they are a terrible company. Feel free to rant but you can't possibly expect that there aren't going to be some people questioning your comments. How many machines are you programming there as the lead designer and machinist?

Let me know how and I'll change the Title of this rant to 'Terrible Company, Okay software?'
    Editing the first post usually does the trick

Haha!! Do you guys work for them or something? You are taking this awfully serious and personal. Let me spell it out if my original post is not clear...THE SALES DUDE, EDDIE, EITHER LIED OR TOLD ME MISS-INFORMATION. HE PROMISED IF IT DID NOT WORK I COULD GET A REFUND WITHIN 45 DAYS. I ASKED FOR REFUND, GOT CONFIRMATION FROM THEIR TECH SUPPORT THAT IT DID NOT WORK AS PROMISED, WAITED 2 WEEKS FOR REFUND, MY COMPANY WAS REFUSED A REFUND, TRIED TO WORK WITH THEM, I WAS IGNORED AND PROVIDED LEGAL DOCUMENTATION OF REFUND POLICY( THAT WAS DIFFERENT THAN WHAT THE SALES GUY AND THE LADY WHO TOOK MY CREDIT CARD SAID/PROMISED), WHICH BASICALLY HAS SO MANY CONDITIONS THERE IS NO REFUND POLICY. STILL NOT CLEAR? I HAD A REALLY ****TY EXPERIENCE WORKING WITH THE COMPANY. If you didn't that is great for you and others! I am sincerely happy that they work for some people and they are not just a completely fraudulent company.

Again,what did not Work
    Flap your lips all you want
    This is OUR FORUM (including you)
    This is not Bob's
    I have probably over a thousand hours HELPING people
    WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ???????

Quote Originally Posted by jrmach View Post
    Again,what did not Work
    Flap your lips all you want
    This is OUR FORUM (including you)
    This is not Bob's
    I have probably over a thousand hours HELPING people
    WHAT IS THE PROBLEM ???????
    Sounds like a lot of headaches! Look, all I did was post my experience, which is already resolved, to give fair warning. I don't need help, but I appreciate the generous offers. This is my experience, which obviously caused me to form a strong opinion. Still just an opinion...everyone has one. I guess the fault is on me for being too trusting. So take it or leave it. I don't care, just trying to help the innocent. God bless all you

Re: BobCAD-CAM Unethical Company, Okay Software?

Leave it,,,,you yet to say what the software failed to do that you were promised,,,geeeez

Bad thread on your part,,,wtf ?

dude just shut up and move along....8 post and this is what you post...camon man...really move along...you dont use the software anymore...so for me that is a big PLUS for all of us...

just SHAKING MY DAMN HEAD...you just had to post a topic ranting...really freaking childish...this just show how weak you really are
    Big Chipin, spreading tha cheese, I be Big Chipin for days!

Sounds like a lot of headaches!
    But still no specifics about what the software wouldn't do for you?
    Seriously dude? Do you work for a competitor?
    If you can't be specific about the software problem it starts to look like the problem is the nut holding the steering wheel rather than anything else, you know the one, Error Exists Between Keyboard and Seat ;-)

- Nick

Sounds like a lot of headaches! Look, all I did was post my experience, which is already resolved, to give fair warning. I don't need help, but I appreciate the generous offers. This is my experience, which obviously caused me to form a strong opinion. Still just an opinion...everyone has one. I guess the fault is on me for being too trusting. So take it or leave it. I don't care, just trying to help the innocent. God bless all you
    I don't think you've helped anyone by making vague statements about what you couldn't do with the software. There's a lot of things it doesn't do, I'm curious what it was that it didn't do that you were told it would. You know, to "warn" future customers.

For what it's worth, I know it to be true that they have issued refunds before (feel free to search the forums). The issue hinges upon "does it do what they say it will". It most definitely does as you have seen from the replies here. Now if you were told it will do full 5 axis simultaneous with the 3ax Pro module you have a valid complaint. They will play back the telephone conversation to find out. Right now we only have your side of it but by all means you have a platform and an audience. Be a professional and state your case. I assume by "resolved" you mean you didn't get your refund and you still have the software. Spend some time here and ask some questions. You may find it's easier to use than you think.

No one is going to hold a rant against you, that's how must of us ended up here in the first place! But then when you get settled down and educated you'll find it's pretty good software. And yes, I have the expensive stuff to compare it to for reference. The people here are more than willing to help you but consider that you ridden into a Yamaha riding club with your Harley and telling everyone their bikes are no good. It goes over like a lead balloon. G'day mate!

Page 1 of 4 123