587,735 active members*
2,857 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > BobCAD-CAM V20 vs. Rhino3D + RhinoCAM

Thumbs up BobCAD-CAM V20 vs. Rhino3D + RhinoCAM

Hello All,

Neophyte here. I'm in the process of converting a square-column Industrial Hobbies mill and have been reading as much as I can in order to make a good decision on CAD-CAM software. MACH2/3 will be controlling the machine.

Based on what I have read and budget limitations, I have narrowed the field to BobCAD-CAM V20 and Rhino 3D + RhinoCAM (but totally open to seeing the errors of my thinking). I would like all of your informed opinions on the merits of one compared to the other. And, if you think I've missed the boat, please recommend another product I should consider.

I've been lurking outside most every CNCZone window there is for sometime, and want to acknowledge you all for constructing a truly vibrant community, and look forward to being a more active part of it!!

BTW, I just received an offer from Bobcad promoting two seats of BobCAD-CAM V20 & BaobART Pro for $995+shipping. Offer expires April 22nd. Seems like a good deal to me, and is cerrtainly nudging me toward Bobcad.

David

What type of parts will you be making? There might be cheaper alternatives. SheetCAM and MeshCAM with Rhino, or any cheap CAD software. SheetCAM + MeshCAM + TurboCAD = ~$400 It depends a little on what you want to do, though.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Parts I'll be making

ger21,

I'll be doing various types of work. Some 2D templates, some 3D engraving and sculpting to make dies for use in hydraulic press, some 4 axis work, and some mechanical design and engineering work for projects yet unseen but discussed with fellow conspirators.

I've been using AutoCAD LT for years (current ver is 2002) for simple 2d work, but expect the usefulness of that app will hit the wall with any 3D work.

I tend to invest in tools that will not constrain my abilities (as in give me the opportunity to fail completely, rather complain about the quality of my tools). And, I prefer to learn one or two tools very well rather than several tools well enough to get by. Too many years of steep learning curves I expect.

Thanks,

David

I haven't used BobCAD, but I personally would go the Rhino - RhinoCAM route. You might want to look at Alibre, and Visual Mill Basic (same as RhinoCAM), might be a better option for mechanical design.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

David,
    I'd recommend that you look at OneCNC. There are several packages to choose from, meaning you can upgrade from one to the next, as your skills grow and the need arises.

Some guys might think OneCNC is overkill, but in all seriousness, there is nothing else I would start out with, if I knew I wanted to make parts for a living. The only exception would be if I was simply going to cut profiles with a laser or something. It is possible to get by with less, but, you won't enjoy it

OneCNC will do profiling, too, but they've actually got software for handling those specific needs as well.

OneCNC's no-nonsense approach lets you easily be creative with the ways you might want to try to cut your parts.

I often make a program up, run it, and observe the way it all pans out when run once on the cnc. It is so very easy to decide to change a tool type for better performance, change the toolpaths etc. Its actually fun. It actually turns your computer into a productive tool.

I could rave on and on, but anyways, set up an online demo with the guys at OneCNC in Florida. If nothing else, its fantastic to know what the real world has to work with.
    First you get good, then you get fast. Then grouchiness sets in.

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung
    David,
    I'd recommend that you look at OneCNC. There are several packages to choose from, meaning you can upgrade from one to the next, as your skills grow and the need arises.
    Which is exactly what I am doing. Buying Express to start, then as my business and needs grow - I will be upgading to Professional so I can do everything (modeling included) ina single package. Iwas very impressed with XR when I had my demo...I was actually online with them from 8:30 - 10:00.

'Course, that isn't what you asked...but you know what they say about opinions!
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

More to research and explore

Gerry, HuFlung and JavaDog,

Thanks so much for your thoughts and input. I've been poking around in the OneCNC, Alibre and Visual Mill sites, and looking more seriously at some of those options. It's gonna take some serious play with eval and demo software to make an informed decision. I truly want to make this decision only once.

JavaDog, do you feel like sharing a ballpark figure of what the OneCNC Express ver cost you?? The reviews I read sure do give it high marks. Sounds like if I can afford the freight, I will not be dissapointed.

The Alibre app sure seems to have a lot of admirers here too. A CAM app would still be required; Does Visual Mill Basic seem like a good match with Alibre??

Again, thanks for your time and attention.

Quote Originally Posted by haysys
    JavaDog, do you feel like sharing a ballpark figure of what the OneCNC Express ver cost you?? The reviews I read sure do give it high marks. Sounds like if I can afford the freight, I will not be dissapointed.
    Let me put it this way, it is competitive with VisualMill Basic 5.0.
    Best bet is to set up an online demo. Other than when I called the sales rep after the demo, I haven't heard a peep back from them - they are waiting on me to decided to buy (which I have). :cheers:
    Check Out My Build-Log: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6452

Onecnc stupid question of the day:

I went to their website and noticed three basic products segments, mill, lathe and profiler.

Q: Do you get all of these when you buy their package or are they each separate modules?

Bill

Rhino

I don't have any experience with BobCad, but from I've gathered from from other designers, it's a bit connstricted and a little dated. Rhino is excellant for 3-d modeling, especially free form nurb based stuff. Great for dies and molds for detailed stuff. If you are just doing geometric stuff them maybe another pakage would suit you better. Maybe solidworks? I know Rhino is relativly cheep, Say about 5bills. It is a great deal at that price and a very powerful tool. It can design 3-d surfaces way down to 1/10 of a tenth. It works well with most file types excepting for importing stl files.I use it reg and can do anything with it.

Hi Dave,

Just one more option when considering OneCNC Express. They sell there 3D modeler (Solid Creator) as a separate product if one were elect to go that route. I have no idea what they charge for that package. Maybe it is similar to Alibre or RhinoCAD in price. Just something to think about for a 3D modeler.

I have Alibre as well. Great product. Will only get better as time goes on. But I haven't spent much time modeling with it, I have been concentrating my efforts on modeling in OneCNC and I am enjoying it very much.

I have the Expert version so I have all the goodies. If all the modeling features are included in the solid creator as in the Expert series, it will most likely meet all your modeling needs.

Like Hu mentioned, you have the ability to upgrade as your needs increase with OneCNC. They have a great help forum! Also a MAJOR plus.

CNC is new to me as well. I also purchased the Industrial hobbies mill with a conversion kit. I will be driving it with Mach2/3. Still assemblying it though.

One more point. No annual maintenance fees. Only charges for major upgrades.

Chris

Is the bobcad ver 17 for 395 a complete waste of my money?
    Halfnutz

OneCNC recommendations

Hello All,

I am following up on the OneCNC apps. I am quite impressed with the CAM portion of what I've seen of the app. Even though I've looked at the chart defining the version limitations/advantages of compared to the others, I'm not clear yet on what version I'll need (want)... but will probably begin with Express just as Javaog has done. I'll also be exploring Alibre as well as the OneCNC modeler.

ChrisJ, I'd like to exchange an experience or two concerning the IH Sq Col mill. SInce it is rather off-topic here, I plan to send a message direct to you, unless you prefer one of the other forums here.

Again, thanks for all the feedback.

David

Quote Originally Posted by Halfnutz
    Is the bobcad ver 17 for 395 a complete waste of my money?

You know, I hate to do this but, but for just a few dollars more you can have v 20. Bobcad will on occasion deal pretty good it you stick with it.
    Mike
    No greater love can a man have than this, that he give his life for a friend.