587,466 active members*
3,193 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Bobcad V22 Demo - Is it helpfull

Bobcad V22 Demo - Is it helpfull

I am a hobbyist trying to CNC a mini mill. I tried out Vector XT 2d/3D cad cam demo. The user interface of the Vector XT looks user friendly enough, but I did not find the program easy to use because the Vector sales people do not believe in providing an up to date manual that mathches the features and characteristics in the menu items. However, their user forum can get you on the right track.

I just downloaded and ran the Bobcad demo. When I opted to go to look for updates, the program just disappeared. I simply restarted the program and within seconds I was able to do a few things in the CAD area. However, the default GUI that loads up is overwhelming to a newbie like myself. So I tried the help menu to see if I can customize the menu. Oops, the help menu just caused the program to totally disappear. No problem, I restarted the program; I still need help. How does one customize the GUI? Also, some of the forum participants report that the Bobcad sales can be generous with providing discounts to hobbyist. Can anyone direct me to such a rep,

i just worked with a guy named Joe, sorry dont remember the last name, and one of their engineer type people named al depoalo or something like that, i'm sure i'm not spelling it correctly, they were very nice, answered my questions, helped me pick out which verion i needed and set me up and finished the sale.. i was very happy with the whole experience. they were even nice enough to do an online meeting and show me some of what the software would do.. and when i bought it i get 45 days of tech support, and the option to buy a year's support, but i didnt get that cause i think i can figure it out...

also, you might wanna download some of the instructions, and user guides, they really helped me to get a handle on it.. i just ordered it thursday, so i'm waiting for it to come in, and then i can really get after it...

heres where i downloaded the instructional information... pay attention to which version your thinking about getting, and which instructional you get cause the different versions do things differently...

http://www.bobcad.com/support.html
    Grizzly X3, CNC Fusion Ballscrew kit, 3 500oz-in bipolar steppers, 3 203v Gecko's, Linear power supply from Hubbard CNC, Mach 3, BOBcad Pro Art V22, Rhino.

JP,
    Congratulations on your new cad cam software. My first impression from 1-hour tinkering with V22 was positive. However, I got a good deal from Bobcad on the V21 and decided to go that route. The price was right and need fourth axis functionality which is still an open iteme on the v22. So far I am pleased with how Bobcad has treated me. The sales rep also added a second seat; no complaints. I am now waiting for the postman to deliver mine,
    Wilfred

I also ordered V22 thursday the 13th. Mine hasn't showed up yet. What is the normal shipping time? I thought the web meeting was helpful too. I can't wait for mine to get here, so I can watch the cd rom tutorials. hope it works as slick as it looked in the web meeting.

JD,
    I ordered mine more recently and last monday they said they were shipping it for delivery by Friday. We are Monday one week later; nothing has arrived. Possibly delayed by the Xmas overload. I guess, we have to be patient,
    Wilfred

Mine has arrived! I got home from work yesterday and there it was. I'm at work now trying to watch the videos, but after playing santa all night I can't seem to stay awake while watching them ha ha.

Mine has arrived. Brand new V22 with all the trainng CDs. Thanks Bobcad. Now I am wondering if it is possilbe to make bagkup copies of the training CDs. I am frequently away form home and would like to take backup copies with me to continue my training while on the road.

JD,
    Looks like you must be humming along with your CAD. I am trying to figure out what is included in my V22. Here is what I have going on. I got two dongles, the V22 CD and Training CDs. The V22 CD states “…Version 22 with all available add-on modules”. The version on the install CD is: v22 42.001 – Build 808. Going to the help files I located the program that actually installed -'about Bobcad in the help menu pull down shows v22.022 Build 812. I am trying to determine if 3D CAD And #D CAM are included. Can you tell me if yours is similarly packaged showing a similar version as mine,
    Wilfred

I wish I was humming along, seems like The training videos are geared almost solely to milling operations. I bought the software to draw parts for the Lathe. I also am having lock up issues. I'll be drawing and suddenly the program locks up. re boot and try again just to lock up again minutes later. Also I keep getting working in Demo mode even though the dongle key is inserted. The cd rom to load the software has the same v22.42.001- build 808 on it. I'll be calling tech for some help tomarrow.

JDesto,
    I'm sorry to hear that there is not enough on the turning operations. As for the crashing, I also experienced some problems when I updated to the latest version. When trying to opent a file, bobcad turns into a disappearing cat. I had updated the program on two identical PCs. It functioned perfectly normal on one but the other PC had the problem described. I subsequently removed the update and downloaded a new copy. Now it only gives me slip on ocasion. However, I got some clues from the forum that may lead me to fix the problem. Evenso, I do like the features I have tried and that this beast may be tamed. Have a good day,
    Wilfred

I've recently received V22, and it does seem good for doing parts from 2D files etc, but I'm having problems doing anything with a 3d file such as an IGES or STEP file.

I was not told by the rep I spoke to that you don't get any decent 3d toolpath options (z-level rough & finish) unless I pay extra and go for the 'pro' version, and I was clear that I wanted to work from 3d files, so not letting me know this was wrong on their part. (there was nothing to indicate x-level rough & finish were not included in the package)

That being said, I've found the software good to use. Doing simple parts from 2d files is very easy - it's well worth the money even if it won't do everything I wanted.

DavidMC0,
    I am not sorry I got Bobcad, the price was right, but I am disappointed that within weeks after doing so, the company comes out with a Pro version. Another disappointment was omision of the 4-th axis capability. I was aware of that but failed to see the writings on the wall about the Pro version.

Yeah, maybe they should be clearer in their demo version which features are only in pro or bob art etc, maybe have black/red buttons for pro only features etc, would prevent some customer disappointment and be less misleading.