588,215 active members*
4,055 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > BobCad V24 "Select Geometry" problem

BobCad V24 "Select Geometry" problem

Using a *.dxf solid model file, I can not Select Geometry in either 2-axis or 3-axis milling wizards of BobCad V24. I can face a model's stock that is described in the Milling Stock/edit function but no other operation will work because the Select Geometry function does not work. The wizards are no help. The documentation does not explain the procedure in sufficient detail. The videos do not cover this problem. HELP!!!

Does v24 have extract edges or surfaces? Hit "T" or "S" to blank all but edges. Move vectors to another layer.

LeWhite may be on to something as far "extract edges" but I didn't think that .dxf was a solid model file type. Can you upload your part so we can look at it? You will need to put it into a zipped folder first.

Chuck,

Post a sample file here and I will create a video to help you with the work flow. In V24 2D machining is based on wire frame. If you CAD files doesn't have any wire frame then you'll need to convert you surfaces edges to wire frame so you can select and program 2D features.

3D tool path are based on surfaces and solids. If you are working with a solid you have no issue selecting your geometry for 3D tool paths.

This video is for V25, but it should help with converting surfaces edges to wire frame.

Al DePoalo
    Partner Product Manager BobCAD CAM, Inc. 866-408-3226 X147

Thanks to all respondants. "Extract Edge" worked for this step of learning. I was able to open a solid model *.dxf file and use both 2-axis and 3-axis wizards to mill simple features. Al, a critique not critisim, SLOW DOWN please. Learning takes absorption like a sponge. I had to play your video n-times to see your key strokes. V24 is going to be great for me. I'm sure I will be back with more questions.

Chuck dont forget that Al uses two mouses at the same time and is beta testing BobCAD voice commands.