587,187 active members*
5,475 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 8 123

Bobs Aussie ITEM Router Table Build

Hi Folks,

I had a fairly serious stroke about five years ago and everything to do with the right hand side has stopped working so I am going to be building a CNC Router table with just the Left Hand. I'll probably use my wife or my son-in-law if it gets to be heavy going, it seems to be very easy so I am going to give it a go. I was pretty heavily into the computer industry and good with most software, so the PC should present no real problems for me. I have been lurking around here for a while and getting all sorts of good information from lots of people in numerous threads. This will be fun, and if I can do it......hey..... anyone can

This is the second log I have started, the first one was going to be a Joe's 2006 MDF type machine and all I needed to get was someone who could make a kit for me. I had even got the bearings for it. The kit was way too expensive to get from the States and then there was the minor differences in the MDF sheet sizes over here compared with over there etc and in the end I decided to go another way.

While I was looking through the Linear Bearings website in Melbourne I noticed that they sold extrusions made by ITEM and they had a manager who was just in charge of that line. After an email to confirm that they could make me a kit and the drillings for the universal jointing kits and a couple of phone calls to Enzo I had a purpose designed kit of parts for my CNC table arranged. This one will be approximately 900mm x 700mm x 200mm, I'll tell you what cutting area I have when it all comes together and I can use it.

These are the parts I have got together for the CNC:

Ozito Router AU$43.00 - Bunnings - the cheapest thing!
    Xylotex kit for 3 axis, set for 220V with box including full wiring to the steppers and including freight. US$556.00
    Bearing rails 6 x BR15R-N and bearing blocks 12 x BRS15B-N-Z0. AU$1292.39 - Linear Bearings
    3 x ballscrews with pre-loaded nuts and end machining including freight. US$506.92 - Homeshopcnc.com
    ITEM for the CNC frame including 32 universal fastening kits. AU$856.88 - Linear Bearings
    T-Handled Allen Key Set with ball end. AU$10.50 - Bunnings
    8mm x 125 1 taper tap and 1 bottoming tap to do the ITEM gantry ends. AU$24.60 - Brentools
    Threadcutting lubricant. $Free
    52 x T-Slot Nuts 8 ST M4 to hold the linear rails on. AU$123.20 - Linear Bearings
    3 x Packs of 4mm round head screws and nuts 25ea. AU$10.50 - Mitre 10
    * 1 Copy of Mach 3 US$156.00 - Artofcnc.com
    * Ebay - Dell GX270 P4, 2.8Mhz, 512Mb, 40Gb, CD/DVD, 15" LCD. Dedicated to CNC. AU$410.00

Total Cost so far $????

Some of the ITEM frame to look at so far:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails itemframe.jpg   basicframeassy.jpg   itemuppercorner.jpg   itemlowercorner.jpg  

itemupperspreader.jpg   itemlowerspreader.jpg  

G'day Bob,
    I'm a fellow aussie located in rural Tassie. I too are about to embark on an cnc router build. I'm a total newbie to cnc so it will be big learning curve I'm sure. My design will be be 900x900, that is dictated by the linear rails and bearings I scored off Ebay today. Unfortunately my budget is more shoestring so my table will be a combination steel/ally concoction, and all home built. Having a small lathe, mill drill, and tig welder will help though. My biggest dilema now is what electronics and motors to use ?? I noticed you have got a Xylotex package for your system, my question is what made you choose that particular package ? Was it price only, or was there other factors involved. Also, what motors are you using ?
    Because of my electrical ignorance I'm looking for a real "Plug n Play" system and had been looking at a package from http://www.lowcostcncretrofits.com/Australia.html it is a LOT more $ than the Xylotex system but has local (Qld.) support.
    Naturally if I can save a buck I will, but on the same hand I believe in doing it right once. So your feedback will be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Deane

Bob,

I am glad to see that you were able to find a solution that is going to work for you. It is looking good so far. Can you give some more details on how the joint tighteners work?

Thanks,
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Dingo745 View Post
    G'day Bob,
    My biggest dilema now is what electronics and motors to use ?? I noticed you have got a Xylotex package for your system, my question is what made you choose that particular package ? Was it price only, or was there other factors involved. Also, what motors are you using ?

Naturally if I can save a buck I will, but on the same hand I believe in doing it right once. So your feedback will be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Deane
    Hi Deane,

The reason to go for the Xylotex was dictated by a couple of things, can't solder now that I have had a stroke and it had to be really plug and play for that reason. The transformer/power supply was configured as well and it came in a nice box. The motors I got were 269oz but I think that there is a special on now where you get 420oz for the same price It would be an even better deal now. The time from order to delivery was about a week and a half and that is pretty good. Hope that helps

I will take some more pics later and include the Xylotex as well.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by acondit View Post
    Bob,

I am glad to see that you were able to find a solution that is going to work for you. It is looking good so far. Can you give some more details on how the joint tighteners work?

Thanks,
    Alan
    Hi Alan,

Took me a little while

The joint tighteners are pretty good things, don't take too much working out either. They use an 8mm bolt with a hex head for an allen key and the inside end screws into a special nut. Some of my closeups are a bit blurry but you will get the idea

I have included the adjustable feet too

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fastenercu0.jpg   fastenercu1.jpg   fastenercu.jpg   itemadjustablefoot.jpg  

Well we had better get busy constructing it now.

The frame consists of 40x80 on the outside, 40x80 spreader bars and 40x40 legs. There will be some more 40x40 placed on to it before it is finished.

The frame was built upside down on a piece of mdf to keep it mostly square and flat. The ends and the sides were placed up to a leg and a universal mounting kit was fastened at each intersection with a ball nosed allen wrench. After the sides, ends and spreader bars were done it was time to turn the frame upright and to put the upper fastening kits into place and to tighten them up.

That was the frame done Next job was to tap the legs with an 8mm tap to take a set of adjustable feet, a little bit hard but not impossible with just one arm.

Time to order some t-slot nuts and put the x-axis bearing rails on to the frame. That caused a slight problem, there was no room to put the nuts in the frame because of the way I had fitted the legs. Nice and neat, but... Take the front two legs off and then you can insert the nuts and rails then put the legs back on to the frame. Hmmmmmm!

Well that all worked fine so it was time to place the x-axis bearing blocks on to the frame, got to be a bit careful because the bearings could run out if they are not held in place. They have a retainer in place when you unpack them, each one was put on the rails and the retainer was simply pushed out as the bearing was fitted.

The side(s) of the gantry is going to be made by a friend who has some 10mm alloy and a milling machine and should be about 200mm long by 435mm high, I'm waiting for that now..

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xaxis0.jpg   xaxis1.jpg   xaxis2.jpg   xaxis3.jpg  

Looks like your going to have a nice solid machine there when you finish. Keep up the good work.

Quote Originally Posted by thkoutsidthebox View Post
    Looks like your going to have a nice solid machine there when you finish. Keep up the good work.
    Thanks, thats what I am hoping for :banana:

Bob

Parts of the Xylotex kit for Deane,

The outside of the box fairly plain but I had to take the lid off and see what was rattling inside! It was the three heatsinks that had been somehow spat off the chips that are on the driver board. I suspect that the double sided tape had not been fixed properly, it looks like it only goes on in one position because of a couple of resistors sit fairly high near the chips. I had not put power on the board yet so that was good. A bit of repositioning and some application of a fair amount of force put them back in the correct place. Thanks Deane for making me take some pics I would suggest that anyone that has this setup checks the heatsink positions just to be sure they are still fitted where they should be.

The power supply was good and you can see the two fans, one of which is located directly above the heatsinks when the lid is closed.

The rest of the kit just consists of the stepper motors and the printer cable.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xylotexcase.jpg   xylotexcaserear.jpg   xylotexcasebot.jpg   xylotexinside.jpg  

xylotexinsidebase.jpg   xylotexcable.jpg   xylotexstepper.jpg   xylotexstepper3.jpg  

xylotexstepperfront.jpg  

G'day Bob,
    Thanks for the pics, makes it easier to see what you actually get for your money. What was the landed cost here in Aus $.
    It's the little things that make ask questions, like your unit arriving with heatsinks flying around inside hmmmm. My other observation is the "plain Jane" appearance of the case. I was just looking at the CandCNC package that was suggested to me, and they appear to have a nicer case that has some XYZ LED's and mapped buttons for Start, Hold, Stop, plus the port for a pendant remote. These actually have Xylotex boards inside, just packaged in a different way.
    Anyway at least your a long way ahead of me in your build, looks really flash so far, and I love that ITEM gear, only wish my budget stretched that far but unfortunately Johnny Howard doesn't pay us pensioners S.F.A.

Regards,
    Deane.

Hi Deane,

I think it was about Aus$700.00 give or take a few. Plain jane it is and there is certainly no thrills with it but that is what I paid for. The candcnc box will have more than just Xylotex boards. I have no limit switches either or an e-stop switch, I will work that out a little further down the track and much more reading

Registered mach 3 yesterday too, another learning curve

Bob

Well I just sent an email to CandCNC asking for a quote on what I need. I find their website too confusing, must be getting old.
    Thanks, you reminded me I didn't ask about limit switches and E-Stop, bugger ! another email.
    I am starting to sway towards an Xylotex or CandCNC package now.
    The system from Logitrol was about Aus $1600 + freight. So there is a BIG saving to be had, money that could go towards better leadscrews, etc etc.
    I'm Excited !! as big kev used to say.

Hi Deane,

Well I just sent an email to CandCNC asking for a quote on what I need. I find their website too confusing, must be getting old.
    Thanks, you reminded me I didn't ask about limit switches and E-Stop, bugger ! another email.
    I am starting to sway towards an Xylotex or CandCNC package now.
    The system from Logitrol was about Aus $1600 + freight. So there is a BIG saving to be had, money that could go towards better leadscrews, etc etc.
    I'm Excited !! as big kev used to say.
    Be interested on knowing how you have gotten on with the CandCNC thingo you are thinking like I was as far as cost and what you can buy with the money you will save.

I got a dedicated PC and LCD monitor for the CNC machine last night on ebay, Dell P4, 40meg HDD, 512k ram, cd/dvd 2.8mhz with licenced Windows XP sp2, keyboard, optical mouse and 15" monitor for about $400 dollars. This will make the CNC better and it should be reliable too pick it up tonight.

Bob

Yes I did get a reply from CandCNC and his price for what I asked for was
    RouterPak 1 = $1846 + 220 50Hz mod = $1871.00
    MPG101B pendant if purchased with Routerpak = $149.00

Total for electronics is 2020.00
    Shipping = ?
    So that was a shock !!
    Bob's Xylotex setup was around $700 (not sure if that included shipping).

CandCNC RouterPak 1 has bigger steppers and Gecko drives I think, plus bigger power supply than their Basic 3Axis 269oz. stepper pack.

Now I'm more confused than before. I am only planning a 900mm. x 900mm. router based on the linear rails I have coming. So I doubt if I will need the extra grunt and the $1000+ extra price tag.
    What do reckon ?

Hi Deane,

I would tend to agree with you on the price

If you are only going for 900mm square the Xylotex would surely be able to do the job. The only trouble with building these things is the source of parts and most of the good ones are from overseas. The AU$700 was including freight.

I got my new pc up and running, NICE!

So far I have got the CNC stuff on it and it is performing really well now I just have to learn to use the software......

Bob

Just got the mach 3 fired up and properly configured with the Xylotex box then I made a sign that shows the house number (really scientific) and it ALL worked the steppers were going crazy so it appears that all is working and now configured with right signals on the right pins.

Now I had better get back to the real world :wee: and do some more building.

Bob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dellgx270.jpg   dellsteppers.jpg   steppers.jpg  

Well done Bob.
    So does that mean you have the table finished and running ? or did you only do the simulation with the steppers connected.
    How about some more pics.
    Also did the Xylotex live up to your expectations in regards to it being Plug N Play or was there more involved ?
    You are right about the lack of local suppliers for parts, especially if you live in the bush like myself. I have been astounded by the rates for shipping from the USA, companies like FedX are making a real killing, which all adds up on the final cost of a build.
    Regarding the Xylotex versus Logitrol dilema, well if wanted to get more from my router in the future then I would be advised to go for the more powerful system of either Xylotex or Logitrol. Actually the Logitrol system would win the day because it has similar if not better drives, power supply etc. With freight and import duties (over the $1000 import limit) that would make the Xylotex system about $500 dearer.
    As Tom from CandCNC said if I only want to "play" with the router then definitely go for the "Budget System" he offers, which Is what I would buy if I go down the more hobby route.
    Tom was really good and spent a long time explaining the Speed verus Torque equation, and how it affects I.P.M. speed, power supply needs, and the limitations of different Drives.

Well done Bob.
    So does that mean you have the table finished and running ? or did you only do the simulation with the steppers connected.
    How about some more pics.
    Also did the Xylotex live up to your expectations in regards to it being Plug N Play or was there more involved ?
    You are right about the lack of local suppliers for parts, especially if you live in the bush like myself. I have been astounded by the rates for shipping from the USA, companies like FedX are making a real killing, which all adds up on the final cost of a build.
    No, not finished by a long way yet. I have still got some bits to buy yet and I am waiting on a friend to machine some alloy plate for me I'll try and take some more pics today, I have the y-axis parts less the alloy plates all done now so I will photograph them.

Yep, the Xylotex is really plug and play and once the pin signals were alinged with the correct pins in the software she was away and I was SUPER happy. The house number was drawn in a cad/cam package then sent to mach 3 to machine it on a make believe piece of timber. The only thing I would say to anyone who buys the Xylotex kit is to just pull the lid of before you apply power and check the heatsinks apart from that it's a good buy.

Sounds like you are going to go with the?? It is a big decision but for 900mm square I would have thought the Xylotex would have been good enough. But everyone has different ideas and I am certainly no expert either

Bob

G'day Bob,
    Your right in assuming that I haven't decided on a system as yet. I think one of problems is that I'm suffering from information overload, and ignoring the K.I.S.S. principal (keep it simple stupid).
    Not having any previous CNC experience doesn't help as I have nothing to base my judgements on, I am relying on other peoples opinions of what to use etc.
    Unfortunately when you decide to go to a size just above a certain point you then fall midway between a small router and a large router, not really one or the other. Accordingly your requirements then fall into that "halfway" category. That's where it gets hard, because no one I have found yet makes a package that fits that category.
    Of course you could put together a system with exactly the right components for you, but doing it that way would probably be more expensive than going for a full blown large router package.

At the end of the day it's all about money !

Once all my parts arrive I can then start to do some work. I have purposely resisted the urge to start construction so I don't end up having to do things twice when I stuff something up.

Hi Bob
    Just discovered your thread. Good to see you making progress and that is going to be one fine looking machine. I like you choice of materials.
    As we have discussed freight from me to you makes it expensive to help out so all I can offer is moral support or cheeky remarks if you get too cocky.

Dingo745
    I am in Perth and have the same problems as you having to source everything from overseas. You get used to the freight and it is still cheaper than buying in Australia.

It is usual to go through the indecisions of which way to go with a build. I have build four CNC machines for myself and have had a hand in five others and I still never know at the start what the end will be.

If it is any help Xylotex boards are on three of my machines and the other one was made by a local engineer and uses the same chips as the Xylotex board. I am running 269oz motors on my three gantry routers and 497oz motors on my little mill. I can't fault the boards and have run jobs with more than 250,000 lines of code that take almost 4 hours to run.

Two of my machines are steel base and aluminum gantry construction so it sounds similar to what you have in mind.

I am just sharing my experience and not suggesting you should get Xylotex. My choice for Xylotex was based on the ability of the board to drive the motors and price.
    cheers,
    Rod

Perth, Western Australia

Page 1 of 8 123