588,107 active members*
5,442 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Gecko Drives > Boss 5 stepper: Which windings in parallel?

Question Boss 5 stepper: Which windings in parallel?

Hi all-

I'm hoping someone can help! I'm converting my Bridgeport BOSS5 Series 1 CNC to MACH3, CandCNC BOB, and 203V's. I'm using the original steppers (Superior & Sigma). Before I rip the original guts out of the cabinets, I wanted to see the old steppers operate under the new controls. I hooked up the MACH3 to the BOB and mounted one Gecko on a big heat sink, powered by the original 56V axis supply. I wired the X axis (it's easiest to get to), in parallel.

When powered up, the Gecko went green/red, indicating a shorted output?? The ohmmeter didn't show a short. So I disconnected the jumpers to the second windings, and success! With just one pair of windings connected, it ran great. I played with the accel and speed and it runs surprisingly smooth and fast!

Before I try the parallel wiring thing again, I was wondering if anyone has had experience with these motors with Geckos. I have included a jpg with an exerpt from the original manual showing the original wiring. Originally, there was a +56VDC feed to each winding, as you can see in the schematic.

My Sigma motor runs great with Gecko phase A connected to terminals 1 & 6 and phase B connected to 2 & 8, the two windings on the right side of the motor diagram.

Which windings do I connect in parallel to these? The schematic says to reverse direction by exchanging terminals 1 and 3, if that's any help. Any assistance would be fantastic!

Thanks for reading and Happy New Year to all!

Rob
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails boss5stepper.jpg  

Hi!

I have same kind of problem, i'm tried find how those wires have to
    connect. Do you use only that 56 V transformer?
    How your machine works now?

Hi Jonne

I only tested the stepper with one pair of windings connected. I don't remember which terminals I used (I am home recovering from a car accident). I used the existing 56V supply just for testing the CandCNC breakout board and Gecko 203V. I have all of the materials to build my own power supply, so I will be "gutting" my machine with the exception of the 230 to 115 VAC transformer. My new power supply will be based on an Avel Lindberg 800VA transformer, and I expect about 63 VDC after rectifying. I plan on using the original capacitors in my new power supply. I have a 4th axis (Haas stepper rotary table) that I plan on using. I have seen a number of posts by Bridgeport owners saying the used the existing 56V supply. I prefer to simplify my machine, as well as making it quieter by eliminating a number of fans.

The Gecko worked great with only one pair of windings connected, and I will let you know how I end up connecting the stepper in parallel as soon as I am able to get back into my shop. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Rob

Rob,
    I would be interested in how your Bridgeport is running now. I'm doing basically the same conversion. I received my Gecko 203's, Campbell breakout board and relay board this week, and I'm busy fitting out the boards to mount it all on. I'm going to use the Superior steppers and existing transformers. I checked the 56V transformer yesterday, and it's putting out 59V. Do you have a sketch of the way you connected the steppers to the Geckos?

Marv Frankel
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by cabledude View Post
    Hi Jonne

I only tested the stepper with one pair of windings connected. I don't remember which terminals I used (I am home recovering from a car accident). I used the existing 56V supply just for testing the CandCNC breakout board and Gecko 203V. I have all of the materials to build my own power supply, so I will be "gutting" my machine with the exception of the 230 to 115 VAC transformer. My new power supply will be based on an Avel Lindberg 800VA transformer, and I expect about 63 VDC after rectifying. I plan on using the original capacitors in my new power supply. I have a 4th axis (Haas stepper rotary table) that I plan on using. I have seen a number of posts by Bridgeport owners saying the used the existing 56V supply. I prefer to simplify my machine, as well as making it quieter by eliminating a number of fans.

The Gecko worked great with only one pair of windings connected, and I will let you know how I end up connecting the stepper in parallel as soon as I am able to get back into my shop. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Rob

stalled project...

Hi Marv-

Sorry to report that I have not been able to get back to the BOSS 5 project since my last post. I'll have to look at the wiring next time I can get over there. It's still just temporarily wired in series and it's a Sigma motor. I think the terminal numbers are the same as the Superiors even though they look physically different. I probably won't get a chance to try them in parallel for some time to come.

I do have a schematic of my anticipated power supply wiring, but it doesn't show the Gecko to stepper wiring (yet). If you want to see this schematic (you would need AutoCAD) I could email it to you. Send me a PM if that would work for you.

Rob

Gecko to Superior wiring

Rob,
    Please email the Acad drawing to me at [email protected]. I printed a wiring diagram for Superior and Sigma steppers, that someone posted in one of these forums. I forwarded it to a friend in Orange County, who converted a Series II, and he said it was different than the connections he used, and his mill is running fine. I'll try to get his schematic.

Marv

Hello, I am looking for wiring diagrams of the stepper motors on the BOSS CNC machines. Could you send me the file that you have? I'd be curious to see if it matches the stepper motors I have. Thank you.

Brandon Bartels
    Bartels Machine and Tool

Rob,

My Boss 4 has the Sigma Motors (21-4266D200-F022) rated at 12.7A/Phase.
    They were wired Bi Polar SERIES because the Gecko’s are rated at 8 Amps max. Check the spec's enclosed and you will probably decide to retain the settings you have had success with and forget Parallel.

Good Luck, W. Smith, Mission Viejo, CA
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BP Motor Info.-01.jpg   Boss 4-Sigma Mtr-01.jpg   Wiring Diagram001.jpg  

Bridgeport to Gecko 203v Conversion
    Help, I have read these posts over and over, I have sigma and superior, I have been able to get a sigma at 52 volts to work with the 203v however it is very jerky, have not been successful with the superior, all I ask is simple I need a wiring diagram that is tried and proven for phase a phase b connections for sigma and superior it need be series only. as I believe that i am doing something wrong. I am going to rebuild the power supply tomorrow to give about 75 volts hopefully this will help.I also notice a wiring diagram for the sigma that only uses two windings is this ok it hooks to 1-6 and 2-8, I have noticed many posts but there is a lack of clarity I need a proven diagram for sigma and superior please help, I am at my wits end. researching this.

Gecko 203v and Sigma, WOW WOW I have them working right now at 52 volts the Sigma drive set the Gecko 203v current pot at 11:00 removed the current set resistor, and switched to Mach3 demo version, set up configuration that Marris gave me and wow she moves sweet the motor hums just like the original, I was a little scared when i tried one of the wiring diagrams from this site, however there was another one that I found that worked great, also I had a problem with kCAM it was causing the drive to lock, when I switched to Mach3 it went away, no smooth as silk, very impressed with these little boxs, the 203v I am still trying to find a wiring schematic for the superior motor as I am going to order 2 more 203v on monday, any help would be appreciated.

Boss 5

Frog: For the Record!!!

Could you post a wiring Diagram and particulars on your successful installation on your BOSS 5?

Would like to test your configuration. I'm using G201's but will
    substitute some 203V's I have in stock.

Thanks....W. Smith

What is the final answer on wiring the Sigma 4 winding Stepper motors to the Gecko? The Signma's are actually an 8-wire Stepper, some of the wires have been connected together at the motor, as show in the diagram in the first post.

final thoughts

You can find the answer at http://www.cnczone.com/forums/bridge...er_wiring.html
    Its all good !! got my sigma's wired up and they zip along.
    The Superior's wiring is explained too.