587,409 active members*
3,258 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Boss 8 program communication

Hello everyone. Thanks for all the help you have been with all the other things I have asked for, or about.

I am to a point where I need to send and recieve programs to my Boss 8 control.(somehow) I am trying to use BobCad on my laptop and have had no luck. Is anyone using version 20 to talk to their machine? Can you help me? At this point when I go thru the control and try to load from the REM choice, I only get an error. When I hit the Exicute button, the control says .F and throws an error. Is there a step I am missing for getting the control ready to recieve a program? Is there a line that needs to be written at the beginning of a program to prompt the control to open or recieve a program?

Can I set up a minifile disc drive to talk to the control? If so does anyone have one and how would I set it up? What about the E-Z Link that is talked about in the manual. What is it, where do I find it and how do I set it up?

Thanks again

Stan

When I was still using the boss 8 controller( I have since retrofitted a Anilam 3300 controller) I used windows hyperlink for a communication program. When the program loaded to the machine, I always got a communication error, but if I pressed the program button the first line of the program would show up and it was ready to go, so I disregarded the error.
    "ain't much that can't be repaired, rebuilt or replaced..."

Set all the paramator's in the com page in bobcad I can give you the setting's for hypertherm that work on a BTC wich is Boss7 Thermanal key's on, Emulation ANSI
    Back schrol Buffer lines 500 Baud rate 300 or what your board is set at Data bit's 8 Parity None, Stop bit's one, Flow control Xon Xoff . Good luck Kevin

I set the system up like you said My baud rat is 4800. Still throws the error. I did try to push the program button to see if was loading anyway, but no luck.

Question: In the book it says that the B only uses 4 pins to transfer the info. When I checked the plug in, there are 7 or 8 wires going into the B port, but the pin out has 4. Do I need to use more of the wires in the B port to do what I am trying to do?

Thanks Stan

The BOSS 8 could do 20ma current loop communications that used 4 pins plus a shield. It could also do RS232 using 3 pins plus a shield. The shield is pin5. RS232 uses pins 6, 7, and 8.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

It sounds like a problem with the cable, broken, shorted, or not properly connected.
    The displayed "F" when loading to the machine sounds fine. The immediate error following sounds like you could have a wiring problem, assuming all parameters are correctly matched.

Before getting on and posting the problem, I went thru and checked the cables and all wire/pins with a tester, and everything checked out ok. It was suggested that because of the machine age, I may not be able to use a 9pin port intead of a 32 pin port. I have a 9 to 32 that I wired and pinned to the computer, but dont know if this may be causing the problem. Any takers on this?

I know my stepping motor setup and a small bench top I have with servo's will not work with a 9 pin, but I believe that was because those software systems use both step and direction pins for the axis, needing a 32 pin.

Do any of you know the hyper link settings and how to set those thru the windows accessories? I was told that may work for doing this.