587,657 active members*
6,452 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport R2E3

I just purchased this machine and noticed a couple of possible problems that I want to make sure are right before I power it up. Attached is a picture and the two areas I question on this board is a pin socket that is void of a chipset and a jumper that was off of location. I circled both areas. This is the ECM3 Assy No 1937773 if that helps at all. Also does this type of machine have a cmos or other type of program that has to be put into the machine if the battery has run down? If so what is the process for doing this. And can I manually manipulate the drives and spindle controller to verify that they work before going through the work of loading the cmos? Thanks for your help, it has been a while since I messed around with CNC machines and want to get this up and running. I am aware that if this too far gone I will be looking at doing a retrofit but for right now funds are a little limited so that will have to wait.
    Toad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tools 050.jpg  

Toad, I believe the open socket is OK. There are other boards in the R2E3 that are missing IC's. This probably left options open for design engineers during development and or future improvements or upgrades. I would assume the jumper to be OK until proven otherwise, If it is not, you don't have to worry about frying anything, If it is incorrect, it just will not function.

As for the CMOS, it is in ROM. Check and replace the 3v lithium battery if necessary. Loss of battery power will not keep your machine from operating, It will just keep it from retaining most setting when the machine is turned on again, there are no files to load since the operating system is in ROM. Also check the 3v battery on the FMDC board in the rear cabinet, the same rule applies there also.

Is there a source for a repair manual for this machine?
    Thanks
    Toad