587,997 active members*
1,986 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport series 1

I recently purchased a Bridgeport series 1 (2H.P.) mill that is in GREAT shape, but there are a couple small problems I need to work out before I can turn the spindle on and make some metal fly. So I decided to post up here because I respect the advice I have read over the last while. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give on any of these subjects as I am not familiar with these topics.

1-I am looking for a phase converter to run the machine. I have NO experience with phase converters as I have always worked in a shop that had 3-phase power readilly available. What are the pro's and con's of both, if any. I bought this machine to put in my garage and I am ready to turn the spindle on.

2-The mill has a Brigeport DRO that when I fist plugged it in would turn on and had fully displayed numbers, zero's. When I moved the table the only thing that would happen is that the tenths would go from 0 to 5 and never register in the .001 of anything higher. I took a friend home that helped me move the machine into my garage and when I got home the DRO was reading perfectly. Now everytime I turn it back on it just does the same thing with the reading never changing in any of the other numbers. Does it just need a thorough cleaning (what with), or is it loose wires? I forgot to mention it has glass scales.

ANY advice that could be sent my way would be GREATLY apprecated. I have been machining since 1989 and I am excited to turn this on and have some fun.

Did I put this in the wrong topic/forum (wrong)?

I thought by now I would have some sort of responses

:nono:

Don't be in a hurry, I know you're excited.

On the phase converter, CNC zone has a whole forum dedicated to this, you can find the pros and cons there. I have only used rotary phase converters. One advantage with an electronic one is you can get a VFD and then have variable speed drive. Other than that, you'll have to check into the specifics in that section of the zone.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=273

Your DRO problem sounds like loose solder joints/wires. It is reading the movement, its just not changing the display. Does it show .0005 or is it just the 5? A good cleaning and inspection would probably help. I'd start with compressed air, followed by a rag with some alcohol or thinner for the greasy stuff. Then look for loose connections and crappy solder joints.

Good luck
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by keebler303 View Post
    :nono:

Don't be in a hurry, I know you're excited.

On the phase converter, CNC zone has a whole forum dedicated to this, you can find the pros and cons there. I have only used rotary phase converters. One advantage with an electronic one is you can get a VFD and then have variable speed drive. Other than that, you'll have to check into the specifics in that section of the zone.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=273

I will be surfing that tonight THANK YOU!!!

Your DRO problem sounds like loose solder joints/wires. It is reading the movement, its just not changing the display. Does it show .0005 or is it just the 5? A good cleaning and inspection would probably help. I'd start with compressed air, followed by a rag with some alcohol or thinner for the greasy stuff. Then look for loose connections and crappy solder joints.

Good luck
    Matt
    All properly placed zero's show up on the DRO, it's just the .0005 reading that changes. I will try, softly blown, compressed air at first while looking for loose solder connections. Then I will try your other suggestions. .

I am anxious to turn my mill on so please forgive my "shortness". I have been wanting to buy a mill for the garage for atleast 10 years and now it's there and I can't do nothing with it YET, been there for 2 weeks now!!!

THANKS TONS MATT!!!