588,638 active members*
5,317 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Bridgeport Series II R2E3 Mill Questions

We just purchased a Bridgeport Series II R2E3 CNC mill and would like some guidance in setting it up. We haven't powered the machine up yet and were wondering if there were any special requirements (other than motor hp) when using a phase converter with the CNC mill. Also, is there anything special we should do for the electronics, etc before we power it up (first CNC machine we've owned).

Is there anyway to determine which language the machine uses (Boss ?) from the serial #, etc. before turning the machine on? Also, does anyone know a good supplier for operator/maintainance manuals for the machine. I saw on other threads some info about a tech bulletin 7 which address communication setup with a PC...does anyone know where I can get that? Lastly, can anybody tell me where to get the EZLINK and Procomm software? It seems like that's what we ultimately need to talk to the machine?

Thanks!
    Ryan

Try machine manuals.com Watch ebay seen some on there and ask machinetec he has bulittens for everthing Good luck Kevin

Get the manuals first. That way you can make sure the transformers are set up to your voltage.
    Try machinemanuals.net for the manuals.
    Give your email address and I can send you Bridgeport technical bulletin 7.
    I know of no other language that it came in but English.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks. I'll try them for the manuals. Is there any way to tell if this machine uses "G" code or "M" code or something else? I'd appreciate it if you could send me a copy of tech bulletin 7, my email here is [email protected]. Thanks again.

I have a copy of a programming manual. Model R2E4cnc, code #11040822, Dated October 1984. If you want it you can have it for the shipping cost. It's a copy that I got from the local community college not an original.

[email protected]

Check Email.

George
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

R2e3 machine

Before you get too involved with running this machine, make sure that it has the retrofit fan unit installed in the electronics cabinet door. It originally came without one, a marvelous example of planned obsolescence if there ever was one, because the machine would overheat on a moderately warm day. The retrofit kit actually included a replacement door, but if your machine doesn't have it, you can install the fan unit from an older B'port by cutting a hole in your door. I would not recommend attempting to run the machine without the additional cooling, as ultimately you'll fry something. BTW, in my opinion, the EZ-LINK setup was garbage. It was hard to use and confusing to ordinary mortals and operators. I believe we set up the serial port and used the standard upload/download protocol that we were familiar with from the older Boss 5's and 6's. I'm pretty sure you can configure Windows (3.11 WFW, or Win 98) Terminal program to use as a loading platform, also the Bridgeport EZ-Utls (or EZ-Utils) program was quite useful. It is a stand-alone program that came with the EZ-Cam programming software. I don't remember the settings for Windows Terminal, offhand, but we were able to upload and download at 9600 baud, which was a lot faster than the older machines 2400 baud. You can get the proper parameters from the manuals. Ez-Utls has only a couple parameters to set up (like which port and what baud rate), otherwise it is extremely simple to use. I can supply a copy of the program on a diskette or CD-ROM if anyone is interested in trying it.

Thanks for the info. I may be interested in trying the software, but I need to get the machine running first.

I've been looking at manuals and I see most of them are for a R2E3 machine that runs Boss 8. Did all R2E3's run Boss 8? If not, how do I tell what mine runs so I can buy the correct manuals?

A R2E3 is a BOSS 8 or 8.I (inch). Really no difference untill you order parts.
    A R2E4 is a BOSS 9.
    A R2C3 had an Heidenhain control
    A R2D3 had a Fanuc control.

Read the BOSS 8 manuals.

George

r2e3 mill question

some cad/cam software programs use the ez-cam/ez-link format. I use bobcad/cam and can load to my boss 8 control with out any problems. I use a laptop w/pcmcia card that slides in to your wireless internet card slot as a serial port. I've been reading where alot of people are having trouble communicating with there machines. A great source for cables and accesories is shopfloorautomation out in california.
    I have all the manuals Instalation/maintenance,operation,programming and parts. if there is anything i can do to help.

Manuals needed

cmachine. do you have the ability to scan and email copies of manuals? We repaired the drive controllers and now are able to "home" the machine. We would like to try a dry run tomorrow but have no clue. We are new to CNC obviously. We have the installation manual and wanted to run the short sample test program in MDI mode but couldn't get past the "enter cycle" I believe it is. Help from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

[email protected]

allow me to check which pages you need and i will get back to you lets say mon.night tues.morn. thanks

Thanks so much cmmachine. Does anyone out there have a copy of EZ-Link they would be willing to share? Thanks!

[email protected]

-Ryan