I'm thinking about building a CNC mill based on the micro mill extended X and Y axis kits from LMS and micro-mill spare parts. I started out thinking about buing a micro-mill but realised I would end up replacing much of the mill and what I would keep is available as seperate parts..

These parts should provide what's needed for the XYZ-axis ways: Extended Y-axis kit #2297, Long table kit #2642, Column #2082, Spindle housing #2107.

I'm planning on using a DC tread-mill motor and build a driver for it (should be an interesting electronics project).

I don't need a real high-speed spindle, but I think 5-7000rpm or so would be a better match than the X1's max 2000rpm spindle for milling aluminum (which is what it will be used for most of the time). I don't think the stock spindle handle this.. Maybe with better bearings? Maybe a taig headstock would be a good option, but inconvenient shape to fit to the spindle housing (which I would need to keep because it has the dovetails to fit the Z-axis).

Are the leadscrews any good (it I add anti-backlash nuts) or should I go for better acme screws? (Would like to avoid ball screws because of cost, and may be hard to find something to fit in the available space?)

Comments? Criticism? Suggestions?