588,138 active members*
5,669 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Building a Fixture...

I have experience with Jig Designs, I have none with fixtures, but I'm sure most of what I know can be transfered over. This is a tricky situation.. how would you go about designing a fixture for a part like this... think it can be done in 4 steps? would you try and use the holes you mill out as locators?

The parts required to be milled on a normal CNC machine with X Y Z coordinants.

Quote Originally Posted by snowJT View Post
    I have experience with Jig Designs, I have none with fixtures, but I'm sure most of what I know can be transfered over. This is a tricky situation.. how would you go about designing a fixture for a part like this... think it can be done in 4 steps? would you try and use the holes you mill out as locators?

The parts required to be milled on a normal CNC machine with X Y Z coordinants.

there are a couple of different ways, how big is the part what size are the holes
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

Yes, its pretty small which is good, so the fixture wouldn't really be that big, but this seems very tricky to try and do.. because you almost need to design it for 5 steps... which is a lot...

I'm assuming you dont have a fourth axis
    individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that individual is crazy.

I would do it in one op using a vise, set your stop were the part sticks out the vise 2.5 inches use a fly cutter to cut the top and then use endmill to face it drill your 5/8 hole then use a 3/8 woodruf("3/8 because you need it for the other slot as well may have to use a slit saw") cutter, cut slot and then flip it to were the holes face you slot is vertical and repeat just ad the 11/16 radius in you may have to ad a couple flips in there depending on how true the material is.

ya thats sorta what I was thinking, I guess the best that it can do is 4 positions on a fixture

average 2 setups

The end radius can be programmed, the hole drilled thru, a slotting saw for the slot.

Op 2

flip 90 degrees, locate over a pin in hole from op 1, drill hole, use a slotting saw.

Also if the blank were held on a indexer the part could be completed in one setup

no fixtures needed just use a machine vise and a work stop for holding and location.

drill bit slot saw 5-6 inch dia. 3/8 thick stagger tooth. and a 3/8 to 1/2 endmill to profile with.

the sequence would pend what size the stock is to be. 1.250" by 1.5"

in that case place rough cut to length +.06" for safty set up vise with stop and parallels for 3/32 grip of stock. locate from inside of the jaw for "Y" and the stop.

Face top of stock, drill hole, profile part, cut slot with slot saw and nock of any burrs. relocate part 180 ° x axes mill off rest of stock. Relocate again
    180° on Z and 90° on X...Drill last hole and slot saw.

3 ops one vise and two sets of parallels quick and tasty