588,367 active members*
8,158 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Burny 2.5 Plus Floppy Disk Drive Needed

Hi,

I have a good friend that has a Burny 2.5 plus burner. He is looking for a way to back up the custom program shapes he has on it. After reading up on it, I think there is a floppy disk drive that can attach to the back of it. Is that correct?

If so, does anyone know where I can get one? Burny won't sell them any more.

Thanks in advance. Happy Holidays.

Burny 2.5

I have alot of experience with Burny 2.5 and 3.0 systems. It may be possible to put a floppy disk drive in it but it would probably be better to use the RS232 conection and hook up to a PC. I could send the wire diagram for the RS232 cable. What software is he useing to program the machine or is he just programing at the machine using standard shape and custom G-code?

RS232

MRS,

We used to have a Greco Mini-file that was used to bring programs to/from a B2.5. If they are still in business, the company is Greco Systems. These used the serial port. Might there be one of these on Ebay???

Your other alternative is to use a PC serial port to transfer data. If you were to add a separate 3 1/2 inch drive, you would need some controls for the floppy to take/send serial data.

Regards,
    Jack C.;

minifile

machineman,

I just looked on ebay and have the following:
    #130 351 839 981 A Greco minifile
    #130 351 222 501 similar Greco device

These are several years old; I believe one would be further ahead by getting a PC and somebody who can do the serial incerface and using that.

Maybe Greco systems can help if you decide to go that way.

Reghards,
    Jack C.

Yes I would agree the RS232 is the easiest way to transfer data to and from the burny control. And as I said I have some docs and sources for these connections. I just need to know what you need.

Hi everybody,

Thanks for the responses! I am open to either the floppy or RS232 solution. For background, the only shapes that are saved in the burner right now are those that they have done through the interface. My friend wants to be able to "backup" this data. You can do that through downloading/uploading to floppy disk/computer.

If the RS232 connection is the way to go, then that would be great. I have the following diagram here from the instruction manual:

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/i...burny2_5rs.jpg

Someone else hooked up the RS422 Modem to the burner, but I haven't verified if it is working. The link between the modem and computer (RS232) is not yet connected. I have a few questions:

1. Assuming the modem is connected correctly to the burner, can I buy just a standard 25-pin to 9 pin converter? The computer doesn't have a 9pin or 25pin port. Can I buy a USB-Serial converter? Would I need a custom driver?

2. What software do I use on the computer to capture the data transfer back and forth? Is there any free software?

3. As you can see from the picture, the place where it says example with the cable going into the back of the burner has another connector which says "Floppy" by it. I am interested in the floppy strictly from ease of use for my friend. Where do I get the floppy drive to connect to it? Can any 1.44MB floppy drive work? Where do I get the connector - it is a strange round looking one.

Do let me know if you get some time. Thanks again and Happy Holidays!

The RS 232 is probably the easiest way to go. You can't use a standard 9 to 25 pin cable it must be wired. You should be able to go to Radio Shack and pick up some 25 pin soderable conections. The 9 pin conection on the back of the control isn't a standard computer conection. Software just needs to be a DNC program there are several out there that wre of very little to no cost. Just hook up the cable and set up the DNC software on the PC establist a link and then from the machine select upload then to RS232. Ncnet lite is one software that i have used before and for manual control it is not bad. http://www.cadem.com/dnc/freednc.htm. I have some more names I'll get to you when i get back to work after the 1st. Hope this helps.

DNC

There is another company MTC/Pronest that has a stand alone program called C-link for about $750.00. Very easy to set up and very easy to send programs back and forth to the machine.

RS232

Here is the wire diagram from the control conector to the nine pin or 25 pin standard computer conections. I also think i have the complete manual in an electronic file if you need it.
    Attached Files Attached Files