587,481 active members*
3,259 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Buying Hermle 851????

I've been looking at buying a 1990 Hermle CNC and was wondering if anyone out there has any insight on the Hermle. Don't see them out there on EBay, so Can't find out too much about them. I have a local machine shop that swears by them.

Any info would be appreciated.

Ben

Ben, We are in the process of purchasing a Hermle also. I'm very familiar with them. EXCELLENT machines. Not many used machines available in the USA, people tend to keep them.

They provide many different types of work tables etc. We will have the universal tilting, swiveling rotary table. This is intended for tool room/job shop type work. What table is on your subject machine?

We will have a Heidenhain 407 control. The higher level controls allow much more capability but this will suffice for our parts. Which control is on yours?

Hermle's tend to be pricey but well worth it if not been abused. There are other machines of similar design but have problems.

I was in their plant in Gosheim, Germany in the mid 1990's. Quite impressed.

We are close to their US office in Franklin, (Milwaukee area) WI. Handy for us.

Good Luck.

Dick Z
    DZASTR

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD ZASTROW View Post
    Ben, We are in the process of purchasing a Hermle also. I'm very familiar with them. EXCELLENT machines. Not many used machines available in the USA, people tend to keep them.

They provide many different types of work tables etc. We will have the universal tilting, swiveling rotary table. This is intended for tool room/job shop type work. What table is on your subject machine?

We will have a Heidenhain 407 control. The higher level controls allow much more capability but this will suffice for our parts. Which control is on yours?

Hermle's tend to be pricey but well worth it if not been abused. There are other machines of similar design but have problems.

I was in their plant in Gosheim, Germany in the mid 1990's. Quite impressed.

We are close to their US office in Franklin, (Milwaukee area) WI. Handy for us.

Good Luck.

Dick Z
    Dick,
    The Hermle has the 155B Heidenhain, which was also in my old Bridgeport Series II Interact 4. The BP kept breaking down so I decided to part it out and go with the Hermle. The Z table has a shutter in it, so I may need to replace it. Hermle says the new bearing will be about $700 and the guy I'm buying the machine from says he knows how to replace it if needed. I got the machine for under $4000, which according to Hermle is worth about $35K.
    I'm glad someone out there confirmed that Hermle's are good machines. the table is the standard one, no rotary or tilt. I'd like to add a rotary somewhere down the road, but need to get this machine up and running and producing some cash flow first.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Ben

PS: If you know anyone looking for some SEM DC motors with Bosch drives, I've got three ofd them for sale, plus a 15HP spindle motor.

See if you can get more complete info on the 15 hp spindle motor. Might be able to help.

Dick Z
    DZASTR