588,217 active members*
4,167 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > Buying older/used versions of software/rhinocam - possible? tips?

Buying older/used versions of software/rhinocam - possible? tips?

I have been using an older version of Rhino Cam for a couple years now and need to buy my own. Is it possible to buy these used, dongle and software? If so, is there a best place to look? It would be a stretch for me to shell out the $1K that a new Rhino cam would run me.

Thanks!

You should ask that question to the Mecsoft folks. They would be able to help.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Hmm.. I have talked to mecsoft in the past about new software. It seems like asking them this would be like going to a new car dealership to ask them where I could buy a used car. Or no?? I am definitely naive about this (haven't bought machining/CAD/CAM software before) and am just wondering if it is even possible to do this? I imagined someone with old software and a dongle that is out of date to them but perfectly good for me. Maybe this is not possible though?

It is not at all like going to a car lot. You buy a car. Software is bound by licensing agreements. The Mecsoft people can tell you if it's permissible to buy used software and legally license it. Some software, like Rhino, will let you. Others won't. You don't really own it, so they say, so you can't sell it.

Dan
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks Dan!

That answer was more "at my level". I had some sense of the licensing constraints. Sounds like it IS possible to do this with Rhino? Wondering if Mecsoft will have old versions they sell for cheap.

Daniel,
    You are still welcome to contact us - MecSoft - 949-654-8163 / [email protected]; we will will try our best to find a solution for you.
    Anita

If you buy a used seat of Rhino, all you need to do is let the folks at McNeel know so they can put the license in your name. It's as simple as that. It might be just that easy at Mecsoft too. Those two companies seem to share a lot of the same philosophies (affordable software, no annual maintenance etc.) so it might be worth asking the question. We don't have any Mecsoft products, but if I had never discovered madCAM we probably would have. I liked the demos of Visual Mill that I have looked at in the past.

Dan

Thanks Dan and Anita
    This was very helpful and I will be giving Mecsoft a call.

Daniel

if your resources let you... then just go with visualmill... wont cost more than rhino cam.. however I read a few post on cnczone users saying difference between.. positively on visualmill side..

even visualmill has different name than rhinocam still same compatible with rhino..

don't forget to download visualcad.. youll be surprised how much that program knows.. almost a second seat for rhino..

I have to correct myself.. rhinocam exist as a plugin for rhino not only standalone version..

Thanks Victor. Its been a while and I had forgotten. Will do!

Getting the very best car loan rate is really significant to a lot of people. It will help you see all your financing options. You can pick whatever loan is going to work best for you. When have you wanted more details about a used or new car and resorted to an internet search on Car Deal Expert? When you add in the fact that we also can obtain for you the no-hassle, best-price for over a million cars in our inventory, it all adds up to one simple proposition: The best car, for the best price, with the best payment options.