588,518 active members*
8,246 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cabinet Doors

Has anyone got any cabinet doors (raised panels) modeled in alibre pe? If so could I get a copy of one. I am trying to model a kitchen for myself and am having trouble with raised panel construction. I am a bit of a newbie to this software and would simply like to take a look at an example for a stepping stone.

Thanks

Dan
    Check out what I am working on at www.routerbitz.com!

Raised Panel Doors

I have some models but they are on a different computer and I won't be in that shop for quite a while. But I can probably get you started with a couple of quick verbal points. First you need to decide if you want the model to be a 'part' or 'assembly'. The 'part' version is very useful for modeling the look of a kitchen while the 'assembly' version is what you need to actually cut the pieces.

1) For the 'part' version: (a)sketch a triangle that has sides equal to half the door width and height. (b) Extrude that to the thickness of the door. (c) make a closed sketch on the side of the block that shows the cross-section shape of the front side of the stile,rail and panel routing. If the raised panel is recessed relative to the back of the stiles and rails add a rectangle to the front side molding sketch. (d) 'Extrude Cut' the second sketch 'Through All'. (e) Mirror image the trangle about the hypotenuse to get a quarter door, then mirror along a side to get a half door and finally mirror along the other side to get a full door.

2) For the 'assembly' versions (a) start by generating 'catalog features' that represent the profile of your router bits. (b) For each of the three door parts, (i) extrude a piece the shape of the wood stock you woulld start with, (ii) create a sketch at the end and import the correct custom feature (router bit). (iii) locate the custom feature and 'Extrude Cut' to mimic routing the edge. (When doing the panel I make a triangle and use mirroring like above. When doing rails you need to 'Extrude Cut' both the sides and the ends. I find it easier to do half then mirror.) (3) Go to a new assembly and import the raised panel, two stiles and two rails. (4) Use constraints to put the rails and stiles onto the panel and to complete the alignment of the rails and stiles.

There is a variation for making the rail and style joint that involves adding a tennon. That requires adding planes and sketching on the planes prior to 'Extrude' and 'Extrude Cut'. If you get through the above steps you will have used enough Alibre features that these steps will be obvious. In doing this you are learning 3d modeling. The process is nearly the same regardless of what drawing SW you use and it is not a skill that anyone is born with. You learn it by playing with it.

Added Raised Panel Door Detail

I had a couple of minutes while waiting for a always late person to arrive. I had Alibre open so I drew up a raised panel door 'part'. That was good as I had remembered the process slightly wrong. You have to make both sides of the first triangle equal and you have to add a plane along the hypotenuse. Failing that messes up the mirroring. I made both sides equal to long side of door then I could cut one side down between mirroring steps.

I'm not sure how to attach an Alibre file as it not one of the acceptable types. But 'zip' is so I compressed it and attached the zip folder. If you can't open it give me an email address and I'll send it to you.

Tom
    Attached Files Attached Files