588,126 active members*
4,956 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Uncategorised CAM Discussion > CAD CAM Programs for a Mac-OSX

CAD CAM Programs for a Mac-OSX

I am just getting sick and tired of having to work in paralels and it crashes allot. I just have to find a program that runs on a Mac operating system please for the love of god I have searched for 2 day's I cant find anything. I am using artcam right now and it's a pitiful program anyhow added to the fact that I have to run it in parrallels and I just have given up on it.

Does anyone know of a program that can run on OSX and spits out g-code? There's gotta be something decent out there.

If you find something let the rest of us know.

Alan

I use UGS NX5 (Siemens). According to John Baker the "NX Evangelist" from Siemens, the release of NX6 will support the Mac OS X. We are expecting to get NX6 in the July-August timeframe. John has been to our company to give seminars, as he travels all over giving them, so I'd say he's a good source!

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.c...212255&page=10
    Hey, why's it going over there?!!

I just cant believe that not one company out of so many isnt mac compatable. I know PC has the majority of the market share but graphics designers and engineers the world over use macs for their stability.

Take a look at CAMexpert. It spits out g-code but is a little difficult to use. They have a demo for OS X.

Check out: http://www.qcad.org/camexpert.html

I have been trying to export Illustrator .dxf files and import them into CAMexpert. Yet CAMexpert is telling me I have errors on import, so I will have to look at how Illustrator is exporting a .dxf file.

Here's a bunch as well: http://www.pure-mac.com/cad.html

thanks for the info just so you know dxf is a horrid file format. I work in maya and 3d studio max and I have learned that dxf is rife with variables that programs can support or not support at will, which makes it hard to use between programs. That's prolly your issue there. I will check into that program. Looks promising.

Yes.

I never have any success with .dxf . What is a good file format on OS X for interchange of CAD files.

My problem is I have a lot of Illustator files I need to convert into a format suitable for g-code translation.

The CAMexpert application only opens .dxf files so that is my problem.

I am looking to find an elegant solution to moving my drawings in Illustrator on OS X to EMC2 on Linux. I want to be able to easily toss my drawings over the network to my CNC machine.

Vovin,
    What file format do you export out of Maya or 3D Studio Max?