587,157 active members*
4,798 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cam Package for SolidWorks

I have a need for an Cam package that integrates with SolidWorks.
    At present i run SW2010. I also have Bobcad/Cam V23 and Mastercam 9.1, but have not made the transition from MC to Bobcad/Cam yet and contemplates skipping to something that runs inside Solidworks instead. I do mostly 2.5D milling, but also wants the ability to do basic 3d machining.
    I am looking at the BobCam software (for budgetary reasons), but i am concerned about possible bugs and limited functionality due to it being their first version of this software.

Is it worth considering or what is your opinions of this software?
    Thanks
    Zoep!

I use mostly 2.5d milling (basically wherever possible).
    I will not go integrated with SW because it complicates the use of 2.5d machining.
    I also do not want to have to re-draw customer supplied dxf's or be limited to needing an active,running license of SW on the computer to do simple machining jobs.

I use VisualMill6 Pro and they (MecSoft) do have an integrated with SW version available.
    I do have the direct import module, but usually convert my drawing to a simplified dwg for CAM when the machining will be 2.5d. May sound odd, but this is WAY faster than other options.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

I have not found any issues running the new "BobCAM" software (I will refer to the SW add-in as "BobCAM", and v23 as "BobCAD" to try to keep the naming consistent...). I think BobCAM is based on the BobCAD v23 core. The reason I think that is that both pieces of software have just been updated, and the update list of issues is nearly identical. The interface within SolidWorks is very well done, in my opinion. I don't think you will find a cheaper CAM package that is integrated to SolidWorks. You should be able to talk them down to around $750 (they offered this price to current v23 owners).

There are a few CAM features that are in BobCAD but are NOT BobCAM. One example is that there is no "Equidistant Offset" function in the SW version. Search my previous posts and you can find a better list of some missing functions, I think. My understanding is that they may/will be implementing the missing features over time through updates (free or pay, depending on the solution). I don't think I have seen any of the missing features added yet, though. I think they said that some of the functions are in-licensed, and they had not yet finalized the negotiations for using them with the third party.

One thing BobCAM does much better/easier than BobCAD is 4th axis work.

If you have any interest in BobCAM and have not done it yet, I suggest you call and get an online demo. The demos are free, and you can even send them a SW file to use for the demo. This will let you see how it works in a "live" mode with a part of YOUR choosing.

Go with MC X5 it is intergrade for Soliwork, since you are already familiar with MC.
    The best way to learn is trial error.

Best to look for SolidWorks Gold partners that offer deep integration that is sanctioned and certified by SolidWorks.

SolidWorks SolidWorks Engineering Software Partners

Enter Manufacturing/CAM products
    Check Box for "Gold Partner"

Solidcam is running a special for 1600.00

Quote Originally Posted by greggv View Post
    Solidcam is running a special for 1600.00
    Cool! Good to know. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Hirudin View Post
    Cool! Good to know. Thanks for sharing!
    Did you try this software?

John

As you saw over here I did go for it. I'm pretty sure the $1600 deal is for SolidCAM "Xpress". I ended up getting SolidCAM "2.5 Machining" and "3D Mill/HSM" which was on sale for $6000 (I guess it's usually $9000-ish).