587,543 active members*
5,747 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CAM software

CAM software

Hai...I am new in this thread..i have a question regarding how to make the conversion program/software/system from CAD to G-code..can anyone give me hint how to start or should i do?? I am really lost..but i had this project in my Manufacturing class...any help will be appreciated. Thank you for your time and attention

Regards,
    Bejatz

lol...99 views...but no reply?
    plzz could anyone help me?i ll really appriciate it

I'm not really sure exactly what your after. I know with our CAD/CAM program... You generate your CAD desgin or import from somewhere else... You then send the design over to the CAM side. Define your contours, then your tools, machining operations, etc... Once done so, generate your toolpath, simulate/animate/ generate your gcode.. Then off to the machine to cut!

I don't think anyone really knew what you were asking, but as Dolphin said, I think your looking for a CAM program.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Thanks for the replies guys..
    I am sorry for my unclear wording..i was also confused before..
    The project requires me to create a program that could generate a G-code from CAD..and i am kind of lost on how to generate the code/information from CAD and convert it to G-Code? is there anyone that have dealt with this kind of project before? Once again thanks..i really appriciate it

CAM software is what you are after. After designing in CAD, you then open the part file in CAM software, and create your tool paths. From there, a post processor (normally part of the CAM software) will convert your tools paths into G-code for your specific machine.

There are many programs to choose from: Mastercam, Edgecam, Sheetcam, as well as ones mentioned already.

This would be rather a complex programming project you would first have to have knowlege of dxf file structure and be able to extract co-ordinate information from that. having obtained the end points of the lines and arcs and also their direction comprising the profile,
    then you should be able to convert this to "G" code data.

Hope this is some help. What programming language are you using to compile your code?