587,999 active members*
2,446 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CAM software selection

I have a CNC router and VisualMill that works great for my musical instrument making. I have an acquaintance that has purchase a couple of used CNC lathes and a couple used CNC mills. He wants me to get them set up and work with his folks to start using the machines. VsualMill will not address the programming of the lathes. I know he can't swallow the cost of MsterCAM but also needs more than a hoppy package as they need to be productive. I have been happy with what I have been running, so haven't really kept up on what's out there now. Can some of you give me recommendations on products you would evaluate that meet these criteria.

I took a quick web-look at OneCNC. Is it in this class?

Any help would be appreciated.

PS: His company uses ProE for CAD. Is anybody familiar with their CNC offerings.

"PS: His company uses ProE for CAD. Is anybody familiar with their CNC offerings."

Pro/NC is very powerful and can take a good year of everyday seat time to get semi- proficient.

jon

"I may have many faults, but being wrong ain't one of them." ... Jimmy Hoffa

Quote Originally Posted by mccafferty
    I took a quick web-look at OneCNC. Is it in this class?
    YES..

And OneCNC has Lathe software too..same easy to use interface across all the product line....

I would suggest your Buddy call and setup a On line Demo first..He can send them one of his typical files to be demo-ed..that way he can see first hand on his own stuff..

OneCNC has several levels of software..from the Express version for 2.5D stuff to the Expert version...and he can add 4 and 5 axis modules if he need those..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

jon,

I was afraid of that on ProE the CAD side has a similar learning curve.

wms,

Thanks for the input. I'll contact OneCNC today to get a feel for pricing.

Any other packages we should look at?

Mecsoft (VisualMill Developers) is working on a "VisualLathe" product that is in beta now. I don't know when they plan to release it, but you can probably find out on mecsoft.com .

Paul T.

Quote Originally Posted by mccafferty
    jon,

I was afraid of that on ProE the CAD side has a similar learning curve.

wms,

Thanks for the input. I'll contact OneCNC today to get a feel for pricing.

Any other packages we should look at?
    Besides the packages that have been suggested I would also suggest you look at Gibbs and FeatureCAM. Both are easy to use and well supported. You give up a the kind of control and cutting options you get with Pro/NC but often times you don't need that control and being able to crank out fast programs and having several people who are proficient with the CADCAM system takes precedence. FeatureCAM has a full demo that you can download from their website.

Let us know what your impressions are as you start to look at Visual Mill, Gibbs, FeatureCAM, OneCNC, etc. The pricing on Visual Mill and One CNC is probably cheaper than Gibbs or FeatureCAM but I would not assume that this means they are any less powerful.

jon

jon,

thanks for the info. I have been using VisualMill for a few years so am very familiar with it. I guess it's my benchmark as it's the only one I've used

I have looked through the OneCNC web site and talked with their sales. We are setting up an online demonstration with them on our own part models. They record the session so we can go back and review it. Pretty smart marketing. Looking forward to thier demo.

I will tak a look at the others.