588,076 active members*
5,081 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CamSoft Threading on Lathe

We have developed an interface module that uses the spindle encoder marker pulse to trigger the start of each threading pass. It utilizes existing 12/24 volt power to trigger an auxiliary input module. Anyone interested can private message for more info.

D

If somebody else goes this route, you should get a high speed Opto 22 input
    http://www.opto22.com/site/pr_detail...71003,,,26,50&

For the DIY type, the circuit you need depends on whether you have a single or differential encoder. A pic and schematic of the single end unit I had built is attached, just two parts a 10Kohm resistor and a MOSFET transistor.

I may need a differential unit someday. My friend drew up the needed schematic. (attached) The data sheet for the quad diff. transceiver:
    http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/am26c32.pdf

Karl
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails index.jpg   index_schematic.gif   diff_encoder_to_opto.gif  

So you wouldn't use a VIRTINDEX command to time the start of each pass using this hardware? Am I understanding correctly? You would just be able to read an input and use a waituntil to start each pass?

Quote Originally Posted by davesnd View Post
    So you wouldn't use a VIRTINDEX command to time the start of each pass using this hardware? Am I understanding correctly? You would just be able to read an input and use a waituntil to start each pass?
    Its slightly better to use WAITAUXIO. Faster reaction times for better thread results.

Yes, the VIRTINDEX is no longer used.

The schematic for the differential unit in my post #2 in this thread looks complex. It's just a $2.50 IC that you get from digikey.

Karl