588,624 active members*
5,735 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: Camworks

Camworks

Hi all,

I'm currently using 2 1/2 axis camworks. I'm looking to upgrade to 3 axes. I would like to know how onecnc compares to camwork.

Thanks Mark

Mark,
    I dont know anything about Camworks (never heard of it) however I have OneCnc mill expert. If you want something programed to check out the toolpaths send me an iges or, step, or 3dm model (3d toolpaths) or, DXF. file (2d toolpathes) and tell me how you want your code and I will see what I can do for you ......
    Patrick

Patric I'm wondering if you could offer my your opinion. I'm looking at the various forum posts and wondering what the difference is between XR & XR2. The website doesn't seem to mention anything for XR2 and I'm wondering whats new? Also I noticed you have Mill Expert. Have you used XR Advantage or Pro? How was the program different when you moved to Expert? Was the move worth it and if so, for what reasons?

I've looked at featureCAM and wondering if you've had any experiances there to compare with?

JerryFlyGuy

Jerry,
    XR 2 has just been released and has many additional modeling features and improvements all around. I have not ordered an upgrade yet but, I may do so.
    I have only experience with Mastercam and OneCnc.I work in the toolroom/prototype area of a large shop. At one point I had access to Mastercam but, they moved that computer out of my building. I had to buy something MYSELF so I searched around for the best values. Mastercam with its $15000 price tag was out of the question. So I bought OneCnc XP Professional - and it was alright. Then they came out with XR series and I upgraded to that. I would much rather use OneCnc XR than Mastercam 9.1. It is MUCH more user freindly and the simulation is WAYYYY better. They have said that XR 2 is much improved so I would have to believe it. In all honesty Mastercam's modeling and drawing were more powerful than XR. Its the toolpathes in OneCnc that are easier and more user friendly to make. However, OneCnc claims that it has improved its modeling in XR 2 immensly. You have to remember that I initially bought OneCnc because of price. I couldnt get the cheapest software because I work in a actual production atmosphere - and yet I didnt think I could afford top end software. I was wrong!! OneCnc IS top end software.....
    Patrick

Patrick, so can you tell me some of the advantages of using Expert vs. Pro or Advantage? I'm pretty much sold on the software I'm just not sure at what level I'm going to buy in at. I don't know the program options [ can't find info on their site either] so as to better decide what level I need. Kinda a generic question I know.. but any advice would be a huge help.

JerryFlyGuy

Here is a link to a General Feature Chart between the different versions..

http://www.onecnc.net/quicktour/quicktour_last.htm
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Jerry,
    If you only want to do 2.5 d toolpathes than you can get away with Advantage. Personally I think if you are a job shop machinist then you shouldnt consider anything less than Professional. I could do everything I do with Professional. I just upgraded to Expert last year because they had a one month special at the time. I dont really need it - it pertains more to moldmaking. On the other hand if you are making molds then you will need Expert. It has more 3d toolpaths and model parting, shelling, independant scaling. Definately if you are a job shop machinist get Profesional. For 3d toolpathes it only has "Z level roughing and finishing" and "planar roughing and finishing" but, that is basically all you ever need. Professional has all the modeling and 2.5D toolpaths of Expert.....
    Patrick