587,771 active members*
3,434 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > Can Bobcad be coaxed into making gcode for a 4 axis hot wire machine?

Hybrid View

Can Bobcad be coaxed into making gcode for a 4 axis hot wire machine?

Supposed you have two rectangles parallel to each other in bobcad that are parallel in the z plane say 10 inches apart in x. Lets give them 10 inches of Y and offset them in Y by two inches.

Can the gcode be written in such a way that on the left rectangle all Y movements will be written as an A movement and if the Right rectangle is half the size in Y as the left rectangle, all Y movements there will be done at half speed as the A movements on the left rectangle.

It would be very helpful to me if bobcad can write G code in such a way to run a 4 axis hot wire cutter, the current programs out there are not working for me in a way that I can get what I want. I can draw it in bobcad, but have not had any luck figuring out how to write the G code.

What version of Bobcad?

I know that this is an old post but I am trying to figure out how to coax BobCad into running my 4 axis hotwire too. I have V23. Any help is appreciated.

One of the main things as a start is to be sure to use "contours" as the geometry selected. Do you have a sample file you would like to work with so we have a bases to start?

What do you need to know? Is there a machine make/model and post processor specific here?

Thanks for the reply!

Yes I have several .DXF files of simple shapes that I made. I have a Gecko 540 interface. I seems to me that having the ability to create my own machine in BobCam would really simplify things but so far all I can find is adjustments to existing commercially available machines, none even close to my DIY 4 axis hotwire.

Where do I select "contours as geometry"?

You turn 2D contiguous line geometry in to contours. The command "stitches" each of the line/arc/curve segments in to a single element that can be seleted, and the starting point and direction of cut is identified. You MUST HAVE contiguous geometry for this to work - "perfect" end-to-end connections of each element of the chain.

The "Contour" command is under "Other" in the top menu.

Quote Originally Posted by stab View Post
    Thanks for the reply!

I seems to me that having the ability to create my own machine in BobCam would really simplify things but so far all I can find is adjustments to existing commercially available machines, none even close to my DIY 4 axis hotwire.

"?
    Well we can just start with a base machine and see if we can get code to work on your machine from there. If the DIY is to far off the mark, you may need to contact the post support dept for directions... Can we start with a default "Sodick" and see if the code can work? Please post a simple file and we can start to look at the feature and output from there...