588,496 active members*
4,483 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 2 12

garage clearance?

Travis,
    What is the vertical clearance on your garage entry? I was thinking about getting one of these into my garage some time in the next couple of years, and I couldn't find anything on the Haas web site about it.

My garage has 83" vertical - not sure if it the SMM would have to be dismantled to get it in.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeybarber View Post
    Travis,
    What is the vertical clearance on your garage entry? I was thinking about getting one of these into my garage some time in the next couple of years, and I couldn't find anything on the Haas web site about it.

My garage has 83" vertical - not sure if it the SMM would have to be dismantled to get it in.
    You have to download the data sheet.

http://haasportal.net/Portals/57ad71...2series_US.pdf

a few years ago i got a lead to make small 6 port manifolds from aluminum.
    when i presented it to the company i work for, they discouraged it,
    saying they only made aerospace parts? huh!
    my brother and i talked to the company that needed the parts, and since he is a good client let me know that if we got our own machine he would give me the contract for 30 a month.
    i didnt want to rent a facility for just 30 so we bought a used vf-4 and put it in my garage and hired an operator.
    best decision i ever made as it only takes 3 hours to make one.
    i pay my employee with chip money, plus a little for yours truly
    we now deliver more than 60 a month from just one machine.

Mikey, my garage clearance height is 95" so I had a bit more to work with than you have. I can't remember what I needed on vertical clearance. By the way, the datasheets are almost worthless. They are frequently wrong and sometimes just don't have the dimensions you want. For instance, the datasheet on the SMM2 shows the door extending past the left side of the machine just as a SMM does. In reality, it doesn't extend past the machine at all. My advice, talk to your HFO or whomever you're buying the machine from and get them to take measurements.

I wish I could come over and shake your hand and congratulate you on your new machine, may you have many happy days working with it! Wow, that sure is what I call a great machine! :cheers:

bdsorcic, thank you. It's been fun so far.

Page 2 of 2 12