588,130 active members*
5,274 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Mini Lathe > Can I Make These On A Mini Lathe...(pics)

Can I Make These On A Mini Lathe...(pics)

Hello Gentlemen and thank you for this informitive forum..Through research here and other forums I am interested in the Micro-Mark MICROLUX 7 x 14 Lathe...I am open to suggestions here, just like what I read about this lathe.
    Would it be possible to produce these parts...

The most important detail is being able to cut an o-ring grove which can be seen in this pic..

The opening is .250, tho o-ring has to have an ID of .250. The OD and cross section of o-ring does'nt matter too much..

Can this be done and what possible tool would I use and where to purchase..
    Thanks in advance for your help,
    Tony

Looks like a perfect application for a mini-lathe. I prefer the 8x18 or 9x30 versions myself, but the one you mention may be fine as well. Those two I mention are a little sturdier and more rigid.

For tooling, there are all sorts of possibilities. You can grind your own HSS tools, for example. Harbor Freight has a great deal on a tool grinder, and you should probably have one any way. My guess is you'll need to grind an ID grooving tool for your O-ring.

You'll have to decide whether to drill or use a boring bar--looks like drill work to me unless you have a real precision issue. You may need to ream, if so.

To turn the outside parts, I recommend a set of Glanze CCMT indexable carbide tools, available from Grizzly Tools. These are a cut above most of the import lathe tools and work really nicely. You can get a very fine finish with the positive rake CCMT inserts.

To thread you have a choice of threading on the lathe or using a die. For the latter, you will find a tailstock die holder to be convenient, and an excellent project to get your feet wet learning to use your lathe.

You'll want a cutoff/parting off tool of some kind. These vary as well. Probably want a quick change tool post (QCTP) to make swapping all these tools quick and easy. Lastly, I suspect you need a drill press--there's a fair number of off-center holes I see to be drilled.

Suggest you check out the Yahoo Groups for Lathemaster (9x30 and 8x18):

http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/lathemaster/

9x20 (a little different lathe):

http://groupyahoo.com/group/9x20Lathe/

and 7x12 (the lathe you mention):

http://groupyahoo.com/group/7x12minilathe/messages

Just make the same post to those groups that you've made here and people will jump in to help. I was able to make the following simple part (part of a quasi-camlock chuck backplate) very soon after acquiring my lathe:

Best Regards,

BW

Go for it, this is not that hard a project.

The workpiece should be easy done by a mini machine, I found that there is a Chinese company has a economic machine with their own CNC controller, If you want to save money, you may check it out. http://canwong.en.ec21.com/GC01204517/CA01204518/CNC_Lathe_(GT30i).html

Talking Mini Lathe Parts

Anthony266,

Made lots of small 1-5 part runs with my mini lathe. ThinBit has a website that has lots of tools for your mini lathe. Check them out www.kaisertool.com. Prices are good too.

Have fun with your project.

tobyaxis :cheers:

I would seriously consider getting a Harbor Freight 8x12 instead. It is actually the same exact machine as the LatheMaster 8x14, just HF named it wrong (it really is an 8x14). It is way more of a machine than the 7x series (made by Sieg) will ever be. Much larger motor, larger chuck, all metal gears, etc. If you have the space for it (roughly 36" long total) and a friend to help you move it (~200lbs) I would definitely recommend it. Besides, right now it is cheaper than the MicroMark lathe anyhow. The only thing the 8x12 is lacking is variable speed control, but that is something most lathes don't have anyway.

Thank You Gentlemen for all your replies...

I just have been doing tons of research and have decided to dive in.
    I will have about $1200 to invest and want to get the best lathe and tooling I can...The majority of my work will be air-gunsmithing...steel, aluminum, brass, o-ring grooves and plastic .

I welcome all your suggestions...

Thank You,
    Tony

Well I did it,
    Just ordered a Lathemaster 8x14 and bandsaw...
    Wish me Luck....Bob at Lathemaster was an incredible help and great to deal with.
    Should be here in a couple days.
    Thanks,
    Tony