588,616 active members*
4,864 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > CNC Swiss Screw Machines > Can this be made on a swiss double spindle?? - Extrusion

Question Can this be made on a swiss double spindle?? - Extrusion

I need to know if it is possible for a swiss lathe with a sub-spindle can grab and feed this extrusion profile. as far as im awarei can have a special collet made for the profile. i know that a swiss automatic bar feeder is different from a traditional one but not sure of its capabilities. any insight would be great thanks.

the hole that im trying to drill and tap centerline is .080" from the bottom (left side of front view) and same from the sides. i was thinking of making the center of the hole line up with the center of the spindle, but not necessary.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I have run rectangular bar on my citizen L25. I had to have a special collet and bushing made and I had to turn the end of the barstock to fit one of my feed fingers. Synchronizing with the sub was not a problem either. The only thing with my setup was it did not like to run at a high RPM . Just keep the RPMs low and I really do not see a problem with this at all.

BL

ok thats good news. the only time it will really spin will be for the part-off. its an incredibly simple part. did you have to feed each barstock individually? i plan on running hundreds of thousands of these so an individual barstock load might be inefficient.

We have an IEMCA MINI BOSS 325 on the L25. The Factory grippers for loading the barstock did fair. I think it would probably have worked better If we had made some better grippers for loading the rectangular Bar. Good luck.
    BL