588,193 active members*
7,750 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Can Watr jet cutting and laser cutting make endmills obsolete?
Page 2 of 2 12
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclestart View Post
    I just googled that term. Interesting stuff. Sinterrring (sp?) reminds of Oilite bushings. Anyone here handled a product created by one of these machines ? Could it for instance build sharp corners or a smooth ss mold ?
    There are a bunch of ways to make "a part" with 3D tech such as SLS. We run several different types of rapid prototyping equipment here. Good stuff, and although the tech has come a LONG ways in a relatively short amount of time, it is still limited in it's utility, accuracy and certainly in it's cost factor. Where many of these technologies really make sense is in the design and proto stage, where it's quick to make one to test, rather than commit traditional resources to programming and manufacturing. For instance you might produce pieces of a housing on a RP machine. Test the fit of the circuit boards, display and buttons, maybe even use it as promo material or for a pitch to investors. When the times comes it's going to be hard to beat injection molding for low overall cost per part. You've got the investment in tooling, which is what you save in buying a rapid prototyping machine for design itterations.

Laser sintering is capable of doing some very impressive things; not all of them necessarily useful right now There are quite a few artists working with laser sintered metal, Bathsheba is an interesting example. There's a way to go yet before you'll be making serious parts this way, but it is coming. Laser technology is still in its infancy, after all. The only limit of the technology is being unable to make sealed vacancies in the part; not a major issue in the long term, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by slashmaster View Post
    I'm starting to wonder if I could waste too much time and money learning about and collecting endmills, drill bits and collets when Lasers or water jets might be able to do the same thing better without tool changes? Can some other technology ever make endmills obsolete?
    Sure they will be obsolete. I am quite convinced that 200 years from now people will look at you funny when using a endmill.
    So best thing to do is just relax and enjoy life untill then.
    Good Luck

there's more to life than extruded 2D geometry

heh, you mean like 3d geometry, lol

Page 2 of 2 12