587,997 active members*
1,769 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Captain 370MW BB

I'm looking at a Captain 370 M W BB Lathe from Okuma. Anyone have one of these? How do you like it? Any major problems / dissapointments?

How is the admac parts programming software they include for pc programming of parts?

What about the live tooling? The same servo motor that powers the turret rotation also powers the live tooling. Huh, how does that work?

Both the spindles are integral motor spindles with coolers, but the literature doesn't say how the spindles are lubricated. Are they air/oil or grease packed?

What about the lube system? It's an automatic lube system but it doesn't say wether it's grease or oil.

My shop has two Captain L370's and they have been great. They have the VDI turret. Also squeezed in an SMW autoblok 12" chuck. That is a good investment. The admac works good. Difficult to go into detail as much as you'd like to hear at the time. All in all if you can get your hands on a Captain then you've made the right choice. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all. The live tooling works good. I don't know much on how their subspindles are though.

I took interest of your website and I notice you have Haas rotary tables. How have they been? I have a HRT320-FB on a VF3 and it works really good.

I had a hrt160b on a haas tm-1 direct wired and it worked good. Can't really compair it to anything because I've only owned haas rotary tables. I now have a hrt210 with a standalone control. It works good too, but I've only used it a few times so far. I do miss having the indexer directly wired to the machine. It's nice to have the cam software spit the whole program out instead of messing with the standalone control and m codes.

Thanks for the info on the captain's, you have a 12" chuck do you have the Big bore option?

Honestly, I don't know for sure if we have the big bore off hand. Another point to make and it may not pertain to you, but we were charged a lot of money to not have the tailstock. Of course that wouldn't matter if your getting a subspindle.

Why didn't you get a tailstock?

Simply because it would be in the way of the majority of the parts we run through it and to make room for the live tooling with the 12" SMW Autoblock chuck. That chuck is nice though. Quick change and solid

Edster,
    I see your post is a few months old but did you purchase the Captain 370 MW BB?
    I looking at the same machine myself.

Not yet, I'm still doing research. I want to check out a bunch of lathes at IMTS in september.

Took the leap today. If you would like, I will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by daewooevc View Post
    Took the leap today. If you would like, I will keep you posted.
    Thanks, btw what options did you get? did you go with the big bore? sub spindle? live tooling? etc?

All the above

Exclamation W00t! IMTS - adventures in Candyland.

I run a bunch of Okuma Lathes. LB15's, LB300's, Captains, and an LR duel turret. But the Crown BB has been the one constant headache.

Newer models may have refined many of the issues which seem to plague mine, I can't say.

I will say that replacing the drawtube actuator, both ballscrews and the spindle bearings have not cured the finish/harmonics issues. It sits unused most of the time currently as I won't waste time/material producing scrap.

Also consider the lower spindle speed limit of the BB - our max RPM is 3500. We normally run Al parts between centers 97% of the time but also have to do 4140 cylinders about every 9 months or so. Those rare steel jobs are the only factor that has kept the machine on the floor where we really needed the full BB capacity.

Might seem alittle bizarre - but you might want to wear alittle sign while at IMTS - "Tell me about your Okuma Crown Big Bore" - Real world info beats glossy sales brochures any day.

I may have gotten the one "bad apple" in the barrel, ask others. - Overall Okumas have been great machines, I run a wide mix, Haas, Hurco, Hwacheon, Mazak, Hitachi-Seiki, Mori-Seiki, Kitamura and a few others.

daewooevc, have you got your machine up and running?

I just took the plunge on one today. Hopefully well see her in a few weeks

Not scheduled to arrive until the end of August. Sounds like you are getting better service then me. Keep me posted.

Who is your dealer? Morris Midwest is our dealer and they have been treating us very good. Our machine is in stock and they said okuma has one more mw in stock. Otherwise delivery will be a few months.