588,238 active members*
4,928 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Case Hardening

Has anyone found something to clean a part after case hardening it? Something that will work quick.

Quote Originally Posted by larry53
    Has anyone found something to clean a part after case hardening it? Something that will work quick.
    A sand blaster, wallnut or plastic media?

If it was required to maintain the finish, cased in a vaccum furnace prevents most of the scale.

I'd be wary of acid etching.

DC

case hardening

Thanks for the reply,however I am a small shop,I only want to clean up the part without using a brush if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by larry53
    Thanks for the reply,however I am a small shop,I only want to clean up the part without using a brush if possible.
    Ultimately you will need to decide on what finish you expect or can live with. Then go from there.

Wire wheels clean up scale nicely. Scotch brite pads do ok too.

The size and shape of the part may limit some choices.

DC

are you doing your own? place i send mine to always runs it through the sand blaster. whatever nasty stuff is in the solution they soak it in can hang around become stuck in holes, crevices etc. if they don't get this crap out, i've found it makes things rust like crazy.

It depends on what you're case hardening, but if you coat it with soap first it will have a tendancy not to scale. Works well with O2