588,500 active members*
4,813 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Events, Product Announcements Etc > News Announcements > CastCNC - Aluminum Top Out kit for Joes 4x4 Hybrid
Page 3 of 3 123
    Which would be a fairly poor resolution it would seem.??
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Which would be a fairly poor resolution it would seem.??
    It would be great for hexagonal holes? (nuts)
    Keith

I suppose that would depend on what you are calling poor resolution. My current machine has 1:1 screw drive and it does some pretty impressive work, havent seen a single hole with six sides.

My guess is that most people building machines of this size are more interested in speed than mil spec accuracy.

That said the builder is free to use any drive mechanism they want and if someone needs a modification to accommodate another system I am not averse to working with them.

Harry
    www.castcnc.com The aluminum casting kit for Joes 4 x 4 Hybrid

Paint job looks cool Harry!

AL

New HD video of CastCnc No.2 with DIY Baltic plywood Echain!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veQkRD1TWJQ"]YouTube- ‪Echain HD video 001.MOV‬‎[/nomedia]

AL

info on castings

can you tell about the casting of the parts are these outsourced via a professional foundry, or they done local via a diy foundry. it would be cool to see the process or picture of it.

Copied over from Joes Hybrid thread as this discussion fits better here. I had not noticed you posted here also until I had already replied in the other thread then it started taking over in that thread so figured moving these here would be the best option.

Eloid, This is a tough call... I would have to admit that I am not qualified to called to be called to be a professional foundry simply because I do not have the time served in the trade but the quality oif my castings has been proven with the units shipped.

This is simply an awesome set to work with for the DIY person who wants to build an industrial class machine on a budget. It takes a little work on the builders part but the result is well worth the effort.

Harry
    Quote Originally Posted by eloid View Post
    so these are your casting you made? in your dyi back yard foundry? cool any pictures of the process? i havent seen picture of the rough raw casting can you post it
    Eloid, yes and no... I have a foundry at my home but I am bit more well equipped that what most might think of as far as a DIY hobby caster.

I will be posting pictures of all of the parts on the site soon, this is something I have been meaning to get done but I have been pushing to get caught up on current orders and just havent taken the time.

Here is a picture of the main truck body at shakeout, there are three of these in the kit and it is approximately 13.5" wide and 14" tall. This part is just under 4 lbs.

Harry

Here's whats in the box's you get, as Harry says some clean up is needed to get the finished product.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cast CNC parts 003 resized.jpg   Cast CNC parts 004 resized.jpg   Cast CNC parts 005 resized.jpg   Cast CNC parts 006 resized.jpg  

casting

Copied over from Joes Hybrid thread as this discussion fits better here. I had not noticed you posted here also until I had already replied in the other thread then it started taking over in that thread so figured moving these here would be the best option.

the casting process is interesting ...was the orginal part machined alunmin or mdf mock up how much shrinkage occured 5% from the master, are the casted parts basically 6011 material

Harry[/QUOTE]

Shrink is not that great and is accounted for in the patterns. I use A356 alloy for these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by DeWalt58 View Post
    Here's whats in the box's you get, as Harry says some clean up is needed to get the finished product.

AL
    Just to clarify, Al's machine is #2 and the Y truck main body has been redesigned to accommodate both the Leadscrew and Rack and pinion versions with pretty much the same parts. His is a leadscrew and several of those parts are not used in the R&P. Also the hole dimples have been removed from the castings since then as they were not reliable enough in accuracy.

His pictures do give a pretty clear idea though as to what comes in the box.

Harry

was the orginal master parts machined from aluminum or a mdf mock up cut with your cnc. thanks

My patterns are machined from wood which is a very old traditional method for sand cast parts. I am working on a different process for some of the smaller parts which involves gravity die casting.

Really though eloid, as much as like to talk about melting metal this isnt the place for it. There are loads of sites on the net dedicated to metal casting where you can learn a lot more about the different processes than I could possibly convey in a few paragraphs here.

Harry

Quote Originally Posted by CastCNC View Post
    My patterns are machined from wood which is a very old traditional method for sand cast parts. I am working on a different process for some of the smaller parts which involves gravity die casting.

Really though eloid, as much as like to talk about melting metal this isnt the place for it. There are loads of sites on the net dedicated to metal casting where you can learn a lot more about the different processes than I could possibly convey in a few paragraphs here.

Harry
    not intersted in making cast parts but want to know how precise the orginals are vs the casting parts

Cast parts are inherently not precise in terms of comparison to say machined parts. The design of the machine is such that adjustments for alignment are made prior to tightening the bolts down. The machine itself is very precise and rigid, look at the router mount parts Al cut for his machine, these were cut on his CastCNC machine.

I designed this machine to be strong and be fairly easy for the DIY person to be able to finish the castings out with a minimum of tools.

Harry

Video of finished Echain added to X axis of my CastCnc mill !

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veQkRD1TWJQ"]YouTube- Echain HD video 001.MOV[/nomedia]

AL

Page 3 of 3 123