587,675 active members*
3,519 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > Surfcam > Changing XYZ0 after the fact..

Changing XYZ0 after the fact..

I've gone through the help files and couldn't replicate what it says.

basically, if I run through a program then afterwards want to change the datum and post out code to that datum, or regenerate the tool paths to that datum, how do I accomplish this? Help files says its possible, but I can't get it to work short of actually rotating/moving the part and sometimes that screws up and have to re-pick all the geometry.

I normally do everything in CVIEW if that matters. but have tried to work with both cview and world to change the datum. Thanks for any input you might have

I think this is what you are looking for - in the operations manager, you can translate an operation or an entire setup section. It will create a new set of operations that are translated (you can also rotate, array, etc.). Then post code with the new translated operation or setup section. --ch

thanks chmillman, that will work, but is there no way to just change the datum? or is translate the only way to 'move' the axis. eg. the attached pictures. change the first cview datum (datum on the part) to the second picture.

*note world view doesn't change in either pic.*
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails difdatum.JPG  

Well, as far as I know there is no way to change the "World" XYZ 0. You can, of course, change your CView - create a custom one with a new origin - but the original CView is still attached to your operations, so you would have to regenerate everything anyway, I think. I don't have that recent a version of Surfcam, so maybe something has changed in that respect, or perhaps there is a way I don't know of. --ch

yea, thats what I was thinking. figured maybe someone knew a trick I haven't been able to find out. Thanks for pointing out the translate function tho, I never realized that was there..

TNICK..

there is a way to just change the datum in the operations manager
    and have a new XYZ0..
    u create a new construction view at the location you want the new ZERO to be at and repost using that machining datum...
    the only thing is it does not seem to work with Mpost..
    i contacted my Surfcam tech support and they tried it and got the same results as i did...
    We tried it using and Spost and it worked but for some reason
    Surfcam wouldn't do it with the Mpost at the time..
    and they may not have fixed it yet

Thanks scuba, that explains it. guess if I have to do a quick datum change I'll run it in spost. I created all my posts with mpost. looks like I'll have to dive in and learn spost.. eventually.. :/