587,187 active members*
5,551 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Cheap cutting fluid

I'm looking for a cheap source of cutting fluid.

I want something to use manually when turning on the lathe for the finishing cut. At the moment I'm using Rocol RTD, which works great but is expensive - $30 for 500ml, $200 for 5l.

I'm told RTD is a sulfur based cutting fluid and is a good general purpose cutting fluid. I just watched some lathe DVDs and the operator used a similar liquid, but used it more abundantly than I do.

Does anyone know of a cheaper similar product? I'm not really sure what is available or if that is the going price?

Thanks,
    Frank

Cooking oil, many of the bio safe oils are just that.

I use Tri-Cool synthetic. I am not sure of the price, maybe $25/gallon but it is 1 cup coolant to 1 gallon of water...

I seem to get a pretty good cut from it, and it smells really good too, kinda smells like an energy drink... makes me thirsty when I use it. LOL.

As flood coolant on my milling machine I am using cutting fluid from Trade Tools Direct. It is very cheap but I am a bit cautious with it as I have not seen a MSDS. I am no expert but I am happy with it. A friend of mine uses it in a spray bottle for drilling. It is soluble oil and is mixed at something like 1:10-20. Can’t remember for sure but it was something like $7 for 2 litres.

I use different commercial fluids. The cost of does not matter much because even less than "1 cup coolant to 1 gallon of water" ... at that I have near closed system with two step filtering.
    The main headache for me is coming awful itching my hands when even smallest contact with ... seems Im totally verged into allergy. Mostly the night after hard working day looks like real hell
    Gloves do not help mach ... comes snaged in few minutes or/and my hands will perspire
    The ony way to offload is day or two of timeout

Any more fatefellows?

cheers,
    herbert

Quote Originally Posted by Vermiculite View Post
    As flood coolant on my milling machine I am using cutting fluid from Trade Tools Direct. It is very cheap but I am a bit cautious with it as I have not seen a MSDS. I am no expert but I am happy with it. A friend of mine uses it in a spray bottle for drilling. It is soluble oil and is mixed at something like 1:10-20. Can’t remember for sure but it was something like $7 for 2 litres.
    do you have a link to the product? i tried to find it online but no luck.

I haven't seen it online, only in their store. I had a look at the bottle yesterday and it was more like $9 for 1 Litre and the ratio is 1:30. Still cheap. You could probably email them. Otherwise maybe try Hare & Forbes for soluble oil. Somebody with more experience should able to give an alternative source of reasonably priced cutting fluid in Australia.

thanks for replying.
    9 per liter is more or less what hf are asking for (50$ for 5 liters)

Quote Originally Posted by Herbertkabi View Post
    I use different commercial fluids. The cost of does not matter much because even less than "1 cup coolant to 1 gallon of water" ... at that I have near closed system with two step filtering.
    The main headache for me is coming awful itching my hands when even smallest contact with ... seems Im totally verged into allergy. Mostly the night after hard working day looks like real hell
    Gloves do not help mach ... comes snaged in few minutes or/and my hands will perspire
    The ony way to offload is day or two of timeout

Any more fatefellows?

cheers,
    herbert

Herbert,
    I have a similiar issue with my skin, one thing i found that helps alot is cover hands with baby powder and use Latex Free Nitrle Gloves.

HTH
    Troy

Allergy

Quote Originally Posted by Herbertkabi View Post
    The main headache for me is coming awful itching my hands when even smallest contact with ... seems Im totally verged into allergy.
    Yep, that is a common (among machinists) allergy. No cure.
    Try switching to cooking oil: that does not have that effect.

Cheers

Cooking Oil.

I recently came across a new coolant that i have not noticed a alergic reaction to. EZ-Kool .... Recyclable Machining and Grinding Coolant

But more than that, is the way the coolant is sent. They send you the Coolant Concentrate in a 5gal bucket or drum. And you add your own water. I bought a 5 gallon bucket that cost me only about $8 bucks to send. Even though the shipping company destroyed it somehow, David from EZ-Kool sent me another bucket that was twice the concentrate.

Ive been using it for about a month and have no complaints at all. I purposely mixed my first batch very very thin, (1 gallon bleach jug, with only about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of coolant mix in jog) and left chips and coolant on mill over night, actually a couple of days, and NO rust at all.

Smallest they sell is 5 gallon pails, but for $60 bucks a pail that makes about 80 gallons, thats pretty nice.

HTH
    Troy

P.S.
    No connection with them,
    only a new happy customer.

EZ-Kool Coolant

Thanks for the good comment Troy. I appreciate it. For anyone interested we recently changed our website address for purchasing / learning more about our economical coolants. The new site is www.EZKoolDirect.com

The secret of our economy is our shipping method. We do not ship water in our containers. Most folks do not know this but ALL Synthetic and Semi-Synthetic coolants contain at least 50% and up to 80% water content in the containers. We ship our coolant super concentrate without this water content. This allows us to ship our product to the customer for at least half as much as our competitors. Note: Soluble oil products have almost no water content and cannot utilize our special method.

We offer 4 different series of Synthetic and Semi-Synthetic coolants which have different amounts of our super concentrate in each container. On receipt the customer adds the water content back into the container before further diluting into the machine. Our fill ratios for our series are 10:1 for our "E" Economy series, 15:1 for our "V" Value series, 20:1 for our "R" Regular series and an incredible 40:1 for our "S" Super series. The "S" Super series is our fully filled "coolant syrup" that is the basis for all other series. We sell this series to distributors who then break down the product into the other partially filled E, V or R series or to customers wanting to save additional money in shipping / requisition costs.

Happy to answer any questions about our product.

Quote Originally Posted by ftkalcevic View Post
    I'm looking for a cheap source of cutting fluid.

I want something to use manually when turning on the lathe for the finishing cut. At the moment I'm using Rocol RTD, which works great but is expensive - $30 for 500ml, $200 for 5l.

I'm told RTD is a sulfur based cutting fluid and is a good general purpose cutting fluid. I just watched some lathe DVDs and the operator used a similar liquid, but used it more abundantly than I do.

Does anyone know of a cheaper similar product? I'm not really sure what is available or if that is the going price?

Thanks,
    Frank
    Frank, try using cooking oil. I use it to cut 304 and titanium steel. It's cheap and very safe. You could buy it very cheap at Fresh Grocer Express. I think less than $50 for a big pail container.

Quote Originally Posted by pearldiver View Post
    Frank, try using cooking oil. I use it to cut 304 and titanium steel. It's cheap and very safe. You could buy it very cheap at Fresh Grocer Express. I think less than $50 for a big pail container.
    what kind of cooking oil? there are so many different types.

Quote Originally Posted by grf View Post
    what kind of cooking oil? there are so many different types.
    Corn or vegetable oil would do :-)

thank for that

Not expensive, not likely to cause skin irritation and available wherever SHELL products are available: http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...S_Dromus_B.pdf

I have used Shell Dromus B for over 50 years and never had any problems either with rust on the machine, staining of aluminum parts (or any parts) or problems with any of my employees being sensitive to it.
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Went to country growers this morning and saw this vegetable oil for $42 a pail .....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20120729_123635.jpg   IMG_20120729_123728.jpg  

Thumbs up EZ-Kool

Hi I was suckered into the purchase of this EZ-Kool fluid product. They advertise that it will make 4 times the usable coolant with their concentrate. The first thing I noticed is that in purchasing a 55 gal drum they only shipped the container half full. When I inquired they said that the water was left out to save on shipping cost. Ok so we tried the recommended mixture. The coolant foamed like bubble bath in the machine. The only way to eliminate the foaming was to double the mixture. So in essence there was no cost savings and the coolant doesn't perform to the standards of ValCool and other such products. The customer service is a joke as they agree that the product doesn't meet the recommended mixtures but refused to make up the difference in shipping a half full container which actually makes there price more expensive than other reputable brands. So cheap is never good but in this case cheap is actually a rippoff. I wouldn't recommend buying this product in any quantity. When you calculate the cost of tooling and the fact that you will only receive 1/4th the product that you pay for this is definitely not a good deal. This seems like someone buting a 55 gal drum and splitting it 4 ways to quadruple the profit!

Page 1 of 3 123