587,558 active members*
3,645 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cheapest laser for cutting 4 mil plastic?

I'll be honest and admit that I probably should have done more reading and searching before asking this, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to lasers and was just wondering what a laser capable of cutting 4 mil plastic would set me back? Are there any cheap ones out there? I'm referring to the laser itself, not the CNC machine.

Thanks
    My hobby website: www.roboticsguy.com

Hurricane21 Guest

Check out Hurricane Lasers

Robotics Guy,

That is very thin and you can easily do that with an entry level laser of 40W. You should also consider the bed size and not limit yourself necessarily to what you are cutting now but what you might do in the future.

I would recommend Our Category 1 Agnes 40W laser and can give you 20% off of the retail.

Category 1 Agnes - 40W Desktop Laser - Lasers - Products

Give me a call and let's discuss your needs.

The Hurricane Laser Team

You also need to be more specific on what kind of plastic. Acrylic is easy but if you have another specific material you need to cut make sure you do some research before buying. Anything with PVC in it is a big no-no as it releases some really caustic stuff when cut with a laser which will destroy your machine.

Gadroc, thanks for your reply. I'm actually not quite sure what type of plastic I'll be using. I'm wanting to cut precise solder paste stencils out of thin sheets of plastic. This company uses sheets of mylar, but I haven't found any place selling that.
    My hobby website: www.roboticsguy.com

Hurricane21 Guest

Mylar stencils

Robotics,

Check out the following.

Mylar, Metal Stencils, Spray Paint, Custom Stencils

Hope this helps.

And let me know if I can do anything else for you.

Hurricane

Hi
    Do someone know where in EU can I buy mylor foil 3,4,5mils?
    I need it for laser cutter

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Robotics Guy View Post
    I'll be honest and admit that I probably should have done more reading and searching before asking this, but I'm a complete newbie when it comes to lasers and was just wondering what a laser capable of cutting 4 mil plastic would set me back? Are there any cheap ones out there? I'm referring to the laser itself, not the CNC machine.

Thanks
    Hi,i saw your web just now,friend. It seemed you have got your laser machine. How about it ?

cut 4mil plastic ,50W laser tube is OK,because the 60W laser tube can engrave and cut 10mil plastic , i suggest you buy CO2 glass sealed water cooling laser tube ,it's useful and efficirncy, the 50W laser tube is about 180USD in china ,1 meter long , maybe you have one machine ,i want to notice you ,before you buy laser tube ,you should know the length of your laser thbe frame .BR

Dear friend, we are the supplier of laser machine, please tell us your contact details or specific requirements, we will help you to find one right laser machine.
    http://www.morntech.com/: Laser engraving machine , CNC router