587,998 active members*
1,708 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Hobbycnc (Products) > Chinese import vs Hobbycnc kit

Chinese import vs Hobbycnc kit

Since buying my HobbyCNC driver kit two years ago, I have noticed eBay is awash with chinese bipolar driver boards for the same price (or cheaper), fully assembled with optical isolation and other features lacking in the HobbyCNC kit. Am I correct in assuming that HobbyCNC filled a niche in the market before mass production came along and now kit building is so yesteryear?

Having said that, I built the HobbyCNC EZ driver board and successfully controlled steppers with it, and I am not sure where to compare reviews with the imported boards.

From what I've read about the Chinese boards, I think the HobbyCNC may still hold a performance edge over them. Most seem to be falsely overrated, and are only good to 24V, which gives the HobbyCNC an advantage.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Alex781,

I have built a few HobbyCNC boards. It is a good feeling to know that if I have trouble with the board, Dave will help resolve the problem.

Do the chinese boards offer service after the sale?

Wayne
    Wayne Hill

No doubt there are some dud boards on ebay and good feedback doesn't always tell the full story but it would be nice to get a list of the gems.

I just got one off of ebay - took about 20 minutes to blow up a channel. I have been running a hobby cnc chopper for 4 years. I will take the time to put another one together from the hobby cnc kit.

Been running my Hobbycnc for 5+ years and I have really pushed it with some jobs sometimes running the whole day and its still here.

Jason