588,655 active members*
5,939 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

choosing a torch for my new build

I am slowly gathering the parts to build my new table. I ordered my electronics this week from Tom, and am trying to settle on on a new Hypertherm plasma. There are 4 torches for these machines and I am torn between the regular length machine torch and the mini machine torch.
    I am leaning toward the 1/2 length one with the thinking it would give less leverage to the weight of the torch hose against the gantry. Is there reason that I should choose the longer torch body?

John Brown, tool junkie

The longer torch body is a traditional design that is designed to replace machine versions of oxy-fuel torches on industrial cnc machines. It is designed to fit in the same torch holder, and the long length is because the oxyfuel torches are pretty long as well.

The new short torch design is for more modern, low profile entry level machines, and it does not have the rack gear that is on the longer torch. I suspect it is the best choice for most newer machine designs.

This torch ws just introduced with the new Hypertherm Powermax65 and 85 machines and can be seen with this link:

Powermax65 Mechanized Plasma Cutting | Hypertherm

Jim Colt

Thanks for your reply Jim. Is there any new technology in machine torches as there is in the hand held? I have an old pattern torch, but don't have any plans to update it.............jb

The new torches for the Powermax65/85 are totally new technology. The patented process change is called "conical flow" technology which uses the combined shield and nozzle designs to impinge, or constrict the arc to a higher energy density level, for narrower kerf and straighter cut edges as compared to the torches used on our earlier Powermax600, 1000, 1250 and 1650 systems. The torch also has a new blowback start system design that eliminates all moving parts in the torch body for better reliability/longevity. This technology is in both hand torch and both machine torch versions. It has been in development for over 3 years, and was just released as a product a few weeks ago.

Jim Colt

I got a little catalog from a welding supply yesterday and I'm thinking about the powermax 85 for this table. am I correct in assuming that there are different consumables for the machine torch that allow you to cut thin material and then change for the much thicker stuff making it kind of like having two different machines? Most of my stuff will be from 18 ga to 1/4, but then I regularly cut 12" and rarely up to an inch. I currently spend a lot of time and money at the plate burner down the street and the laser shop 20 or more miles away. The time it takes to get small orders done + the minimum charge is the reason is why I am bulding this.....Thanks........jb

The Powermax85 has machine cutting consumables for FineCut (thin gauge to 1/8") that produce very nice cut quality with a narrow kerf width at low power levels, 45 Amp, 65 Amp and 85 Amp shielded consumables to cover the full range of thicker materials. This unit is factory rated to pierce up to 5/8" (with a fullfeatured torch height control will do 3/4" easily), and cut with good quality to 1", and with severance capability to 1-1/2".

Some users will just use the 85 amp consumables for all cutting, but for best cut quality in terms of edge squareness it is important to match the power and consumable set to the material thickness.

Jim Colt

I'm in. As soon as I can find a dealer to get it for me I'm going to go for the 85. I see pretty good prices on the internet, but I like to spend my money at home if possible. A 25 ft torch lead should work on a 5x10 table if you put the machine under the table and hang the hose over the table. Do you lose any power with the longer leads.........What is everyone else running for length? I appreciate all this info...............................jb

That is an interesting question about losing power with longer leads! Most people do not think of the difference in resistance between a 25' plasma torch lead and a 50 foot lead. If the gas pressure at the plasma end of the two leads is the same...you will effectively have less power at the torch with a 50' lead, you can crank the pressure up (usually 5 to 7 psi higher on the longer lead), and it will be the same.

On the New Powermax65 and 85, the connector pins on the quick disconnect assembly for the torches tell the power supply the effective lead length, and the air pressure is automatically adjusted inside the power supplies. These systems have an all new air flow control system that does not use a regulator, rather it is a pilot operated air valve with an internal pressure transducer. As cnc cutting machines get more sophisticated....they will be able to interface to a serial data plug on the rear panel of the Powermax units, the the cnc will have the ability to set amperage, air pressure, as well, as read all of the diagnostic data from the plasma. There is a lot of new technology in these units.

Jim

I have an old Max43 that I bought in `94 or`95 and it has been a dandy for the lighter stuff, I never expected that kind of sophistication in a plasma cutter. I usually go for a manual machine if I have a choice, but for this CNC I'm thinking all the controls built into this machine may actually be way better. I'm having hard enough time with drawing programs. If they are still made in the USA and have a good warranty........this sounds almost too good.

I'm buying my stuff from CandCNC, can his controls work with all the new stuff in this machine? Having read on here that the Hypertherm was easy to hook up to his system , and the fact I liked my old one is why I intend to get one............jb

Yes, Tom at CandCNC sure knows his stuff. He was actually one of the first to start asking what the seriel interface was on the Powermax65/85. Nobody has yet used that interface plug to my knowledge, as our engineering group has not yet released the interface protocol. However, it should be interfaceable to virtually any PC....so it is something you can add later. The Powermax units offer the serial interface port as an option. I can see people experimenting with reducing current during cornering, possibly even air pressure, to improve quality. That type of technology is commonly used on our industrial high definition class plasmas....but never has been done with lower priced air plasma systems.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jimcolt View Post
    Yes, Tom at CandCNC sure knows his stuff. He was actually one of the first to start asking what the seriel interface was on the Powermax65/85. Nobody has yet used that interface plug to my knowledge, as our engineering group has not yet released the interface protocol. However, it should be interfaceable to virtually any PC....so it is something you can add later. The Powermax units offer the serial interface port as an option. I can see people experimenting with reducing current during cornering, possibly even air pressure, to improve quality. That type of technology is commonly used on our industrial high definition class plasmas....but never has been done with lower priced air plasma systems.

Jim
    Jim, we are releasing the DCP (digital current probe) next week and I need a little info from you if possible. I need to know the diameter of the workclamp leads on Hypertherm units from the 45 up to the 1650. Although our probe is useful up to 200A I have to select the watertight cable fittings for the probe and the normal probe is rated to 125A. The 200A version will be another part number. The DCP will be the first step in having accurate information to feedback to the software to later do variable current cutting with the new 65 and 85. Coupled with toolpath "intelligence" it should make the cutting process even more predictable.

As soon as you can get me the Serial specs we can start to program in the features.

TOM caudle
    www.CandCNC.com

Tom, I guess you know I drove a couple of hundred miles to see a 3ph welder . That guy is wanting to sell it bad if you know anyone.......jb

Quote Originally Posted by Boogiemanz1 View Post
    Tom, I guess you know I drove a couple of hundred miles to see a 3ph welder . That guy is wanting to sell it bad if you know anyone.......jb
    Well, I thought that a 1650 was 3P only. When you told me he said it had a "card" that let it use single phase I had my doubts. The pricing was pretty good so I'll bet you can help him find it a home here or on my support forum.

For the other readers: There is a lightly used Hypertherm 1650 for sale. I don't know the particulars but it sounds like the price might be negotiable although not a steal. For someone that has 3P power it would be a good deal. Contact Boogiemanz1 for details.

Don't you just love how I made you the "goat" on the is one!:stickpoke

TOM C