588,385 active members*
5,318 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Unhappy Chuck Jaw Setup Mazak Fusion 640 T need help

Hello. I recently graduated school, where I used a Cincinnati lathe with a Fanuc controller comfortably. I was recently hired into a shop and just before I started the CNC guy left, family reasons. I've been thrown into his position head first and am trying to teach myself the Mazak lathe, a Quick Turn 250 with a Fusion 640 T controller.

Luckily his programs are in the machine for standard run parts and I have been carefully running them, however I'm trying to learn to set this machine up correctly, preferably before I need to set up a tool etc. So far when I call programs up and go to TRACE with Part Shape it often displays the part inside the jaws, checked JAW SETUP found the chuck barrier invalid but the A-E seemed correct, set my Z to cut air based on the existing program, all ok, then set my work as specified in the program's first line and reset my Z using TEACH. So far so good, however when I try to go through the setup instructions in the manual for the jaws it often sets my work into the chuck on TRACE. If I set the chuck barrier to valid the machine will give a chuck barrier error when trying to move to the work to set my z offset about 6 in from the jaws. I think it is a set up parameter I am missing but just can't find it. In my case I am using a set of outside jaws that are 1.380H from the chuck face, constant height in profile, gripping .800 stock. In the Jaw Setup tab I set up the jaws as I measured the dimensions based on the diagram on the screen. The Solids display seems to have the jaws correctly represented, just not the work with the work Z-offset set.

Could it be the way the program was written that is causing the Part Shape in Trace display to be set inside the jaws? I thought that maybe rather than index every set of jaws in the shop perhaps he wrote these few programs I've run so far so that no matter what jaws he used as long as the work was set out from the jaws using the dimension the first line of the program has listed and the Z was set to that then it didn't matter about the chuck jaws. Great for someone experienced enough to short cut, not so good for someone like me who would like to verify his set up using the displays in the controller.

Any one brave enough to read all this, thanks, for anyone willing to respond, doubly so.

Scott

Never mind. Wrote my first few programs today and figured it out.