587,231 active members*
4,254 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question Cincinnati Arrow 500 Setup

A friend of mine and I recently purchased a 1995 Cincinnati Arrow 500 Milling Center. The machining came from a lab where they were testing machineability of material and tooling. We are having the machine delivered this weekend.
    We paid $4750 for the mill including about 35 Cat 40 tool holders and 2 vises.

Unfortunately the previous owner has not been able to find the manuals for the mill. Does anyone know where we should start? I will at least need wiring documentation regarding the electrical connection and changing the incoming voltages settings.

The machine has the Control Techniques Controller.

Any comments will be welcome.

Thanks
    Paul

CINNCINATI ARROW 500 SET UP

CINNCINATTI Program

1. Turn on power disconnect (back of machine)
    2. After the machine powers up, hit the Green Button (next to the BULLSEYE button) twice – it will go from flashing to solid
    3. Switch to MPG, push the BULLSEYE button until X, Y, Z all light up then go out (this is homing the machine)
    4. Press the button for OPERATOR PANEL, hold down the button for DRUM TO SPINDLE until it is aligned with the spindle, rotate the drum until 5, 6, 7 are showing
    5. Press and hold the DRUM TO PARK button; back page to page 1
    6. Hit the BULLSEYE, the drum will be aligned
    7. Switch to MDI, type in G code (G20,G70/G21, G71) for inch/metric you are using, hit CYCLE START (green button)
    8. Switch to MPG, press button for OPERATOR PANEL, press DRUM TO SPINDLE, bring 1 and 2 around
    9. Load tools into the drum, be sure the drill point notch faces the drum and all tools have long retention knobs
    10. Send DRUM TO PARK
    11. In MPG, use X, Y (highlight the letter you wish to use) to move vise so you can load your piece part, load the part using parallels
    12. Switch to MDI, type in tool change to bring up the wiggler (i.e. T3M6)
    13. Hit CYCLE START (green button), the wiggler will load in the spindle
    14. Switch to MPG and press X, manually adjust to wiggle on the X side, leave a little room to tip the wiggler
    15. Switch to MDI and type in S850M3, CYCLE START (wiggler will start)
    16. Switch to MPG and press X button, adjust X toward wiggler until it kicks off, press SPINDLE STOP
    17. Switch to MDI, press SET WORK SYSTEM, then find which one you need (i.e G55), press ENTER (this brings up the X, Y, Z screen)
    18. Press button for SET WORK COORDINATE, highlight X and enter the wiggler offset (this is ½ of the wiggler ball, i.e. 1.27, 3.17) – be sure this is a negative (-) or minus compensation number
    19. Repeat steps 14 – 18 for the Y coordinate
    20. For Z, switch to MDI and type T0M6, CYCLE START (this will empty the spindle)
    21. Press the Z button and bring the spindle nose down on the 3” block, press teh button for SET WORK SYSTEM, type in 2.997 for inches or 76.2 for mm, ENTER and push SET COORDINATES (these are positive numbers NOT negative)
    22. Press back page, SET TOOL LENGTH button, SET TOOL DATUM button
    23. Enter a Y for the question [Do you want to do this? Y/N), press ENTER
    -Step 22 & 23 have to be done because it is a floating tool plane and that is why we set a tool datum (numbers in red should change)
    24. You are ready for tool offsets
    25. Switch to MDI, type in T1M6, CYCLE START
    26. Switch to MPG and move the Z until the tip of the tool is on the 3” block, once the block is there go to
    27. SET TOOL LENGTH, find tool T1 and then push SET TOOL LENGTH
    28. Repeat steps 25-27 for each tool, and remove the block
    29. This is where you will also put in the tool radius for the tool being used (i.e 2-fluted 13mm EM, type in ½ - 6.5mm)
    - If wear is going to be added it is also done here
    30. Switch to MDI and enter Dummy Program
    -G55 EOB
    -T1M6 EOB
    -G43 H1 EOB
    -X0Y0 EOB
    -Z 76.2 EOB (Z 3.0 for inch program)
    31. Press CYCLE START and run at 5% rapid
    32. Check the tool distance with 3” block
    33. Repeat for each tool. Hint: switch to MDI; in the dummy program highlight T1, type T2, press ALTER, highlight H1, type H2, press ALTER; go to top of program to run
    -when tools are all set, you are ready to run your program
    34. Switch to AUTO, press BACKGROUND EDIT, press NEW PROGRAM – input your program
    35. In AUTO, press GRAPHIC DISPLAY, odd little down arrow button, 3, ENTER
    36. Check for Z flyers
    37. Run in single block (1 command at a time), must be in AUTO

Thanks for the information. It will help when I get to that phase of setup.
    The machine was delivered this past Sunday (November 11). I still have to connect the power.
    Would you have some wiring connection diagrams? I am not sure of the voltage the machine is setup for.
    Any information will help.

Thanks