588,167 active members*
4,626 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Cincinnati Machines - Opinions?

Hi all,

I'm looking to replace our companies manual engine lathe. We do some precision tooling parts as well as general turning. Started looking at used machines, ( I like Clausing and some LeBlonds ), and I ran across ads for 'Cincinnati Machines'. At first glance their lathes look an awful lot like a Clausing. But based on their inexpensive price, figured they are a clone or something. I'm guessing these are machines from China. I'm looking for opinions on their lathes, or opinions/experience on any of their machines. Good, Bad, whatever. Would just like a little input. They look decent in photos, but that doesn't really answer my questions. I'm looking at the Cincinnati Machines Cobra 1550. Cincinnati Machines

Thanks all!

Don't know where the physical machinery manufacturing is....but Cincinnati goes wayyyyyyy back. I've had Cincinnati's from the '40s up thru the early '60's... and they're workhorses.

I don't care for LeBlonds... that's just me, they're perfectly good lathes. The Regal LeBlond is a very good lathe, as are the old Colchesters....My personal all time fav is the Monarch 10EE. Any of the manual Monarchs are good machines.

I fear the risk in any of the new Cincinnati machines is they're all made in China.... they have that look.... Please prove me wrong.

Yeah, I'm used to all the old machines too. I'm familiar with some of the Cincinnati machines, (Cincinnati Milacron), but I don't think this is the same company. There are several machine makers in Cincinnati. It may just be a play on the name. Hoping to hear from anyone using them, otherwise may take a drive to Ohio to look in person

btw, yes, Monarchs are good too

None of the manual lathes are as good as they used to be. And i agree, the EEE was a awesome machine, we still have some with the original tubes in them!
    These were not just copies of the old Mori Seiki manual machines, Mori sold them the rights and from what i understand even the casting molds. Really a pretty decent manual machine.
    http://www.hwacheon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by underthetire View Post
    None of the manual lathes are as good as they used to be. And i agree, the EEE was a awesome machine, we still have some with the original tubes in them!
    These were not just copies of the old Mori Seiki manual machines, Mori sold them the rights and from what i understand even the casting molds. Really a pretty decent manual machine.
    http://www.hwacheon.com/
    Yeas they are good. In fact, thats the lathe I am replacing. It's a Webb (hwacheon). It's 30+ years old and finally wore out. Was always a good lathe for us.