587,262 active members*
3,511 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Cincinnati CNC > CINCINNATI SABRE 750 X.Y.Z AXIS FAILURE

Question CINCINNATI SABRE 750 X.Y.Z AXIS FAILURE

I have a 1994 sabre 750. Have had it for 2 years fighting an ongoing problem that comes and goes.It will be running fine and all of a sudden it will stop and the alarm will usually read" x drive axis failure" and sometimes "x.y and z axis failure".
    i've replaced the x drive axis servo motor and cables, ice cube relays.Have had the voltage checked and everything is fine.
    The machine has been running fine for 3 months and all of a sudden its doing it again and I cannot run the machine for fear of the head dropping.

I am really getting sick of this problem. If anyone has any suggestions, they will be greatly appreciated. I cant afford to have this machine down too long.

We have a Sabre 1000 about the same age as yours which we have had from new. We have had the same problem as you and found it is a break in the wiring loom to the "X" axis. We found out when taking the slideway covers off and shaking the cable to the "X" axis motor the machine worked OK again.
    So this is a possibility on your machine. I think the cables get brittle over time.
    We have now part exchanged our machine and its going out next week.

Regards

Kevin

drive fail

hello
    when the problem occurrs can you restart the machine by cancelling the alert and pressing the green start button OR do you have to shut down the machine and isolate it before restarting. if its the latter what lights do you have on the axis drives. i presume its an A2100 control with Kollmorgan drives.
    if you have to shut down the machine before restarting it would indicate a drive reporting a problem and one drive should have probably 2 red lights and a green instead of one red and one green.
    please recreate the problem and note the lights on the drives. normally when you turn on the main isolater you will have 1 red and 1 green on each axis drive followed by 3 green after the 2nd press of the green start button.
    regards
    mallardfizz

XYZ Servo drive failure

Thanks for the help... I found that the X drive servo motor cable was in a bind and putting pressure on the connection. Like you said, a little pulling to ease the tension seemed to work. I ran it all day today with no problems.

Quote Originally Posted by hawk1 View Post
    Thanks for the help... I found that the X drive servo motor cable was in a bind and putting pressure on the connection. Like you said, a little pulling to ease the tension seemed to work. I ran it all day today with no problems.
    Great news. Good to see that my first post helped your first post.