587,087 active members*
2,855 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Circuit board printing

I am trying to make the circuit boards that are discribed in the book entitled " CNC Robotics Build your own wordshop bot." The author uses a laser jet priner to print the art work for the boards on paper, then transfers the art to the copper by an ironing method. I do not have a laser jet printer. Is there another way to do the art work?

To do a toner transfer you need toner.
    What you could do is print it and then photocopy the print, that woudl get you a toner print. I don't know the first thing about photocopying, except they user toner, You want to use a shiny paper. The first time I tried making a pcb I printed on a pizza advert, nice-n-shiny, it came out really well but it wasn't as easy to see what it was like when it was on a muliticoloured background; I picked up a box of dirt cheap photo paper in tescos and it's really good.
    Or you could try photo etching, or whatever you call it. I got a small can of the photolaquer and tried it, I used an old insect killer light as my uv source and some caustic soda as developer. The results were pretty good. My only problem was getting a good coat of the photolaquer, the coat i had didn't look to good so I didn't take much care about exposure time or developing time, but it came out OK. But you can buy prepainted boards. Toner transfer is less work though.

Below is a pic of a board to go near some panel switches and leds, enabling me to use to use ribbon cables to connect things together. It was pretty simple and I was quite pleased with the results[I am even numbering the boards I make for my conversion;-)]. The black toner hasn't been cleaned off the copper.