587,216 active members*
2,313 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Other Machines > CNC Wire Foam Cutter Machines > CNC hot wire foam cutter and USB controller

CNC hot wire foam cutter and USB controller

Check out my CNC hot wire foam cutter. It is controlled with CNC USB motion controller which directly supports Profili generated 4-axis g-code as well as other g-code. For 4-axis foam cutting select "Foam" settings and name your axes XY and UV in g-code.

There is also limited support for dxf files. I plan to make dxf to g-code converter (CAM) with support for 4-axis foam g-code.

Controller also fully supports classic 3-axis machines. I'll soon start building my machine. I'll create build thread for it.

Andrej

First - welcome aboard!
    Very clever adaptation - and the pricing looks fair (but then again I am no wirehead! SO what do I know )
    Your board is the interface between th eUSB and the other Driver boards -- Have I got that right?
    What boards are you using from your board to the motors?

Will you also be offering built boards - or just bare board and PICs?
    Does Profili2 output in GCode too? Or, just the dxf that you'll work into another CAM program maybe?
    I'll keep your ""little shop"" bookmarked for later. And, I'll watch for your build thread.
    Cheers - Jim
    Experience is the BEST Teacher. Is that why it usually arrives in a shower of sparks, flash of light, loud bang, a cloud of smoke, AND -- a BILL to pay? You usually get it -- just after you need it.

Thank you

Yes, my board in interface between computer USB port and driver boards. I'm using PICStep drivers for the motors.

I have PIC and PCBs in limited quantity only for those who can't build/program their own. I could make some homemade boards but it takes so much time that I just cannot affort so currently there are none available.
    If there is demand then I'll create some professional quality build boards.

Profili2 outputs GCode. There is no other software necessary. For use in "Foam" mode with my controller you must name axes XY and UV in output dialog. The whole process is very simple. I tried to show that in video where all steps are filmed.

I hope my 3-axis DIY machine goes as planed so that full power of controller will be unleashed.

Andrej

Quote Originally Posted by Kroko View Post
    Thank you

Yes, my board in interface between computer USB port and driver boards. I'm using PICStep drivers for the motors.

I have PIC and PCBs in limited quantity only for those who can't build/program their own. I could make some homemade boards but it takes so much time that I just cannot affort so currently there are none available.
    If there is demand then I'll create some professional quality build boards.

Profili2 outputs GCode. There is no other software necessary. For use in "Foam" mode with my controller you must name axes XY and UV in output dialog. The whole process is very simple. I tried to show that in video where all steps are filmed.

I hope my 3-axis DIY machine goes as planed so that full power of controller will be unleashed.

Andrej
    Hi Andrej,
    Thanks for the info,After seeing your video i'm going to get profili pro to run my machine.

Just one program to run the machine sounds like a good way to go,but does it work through the printer port as well as usb?
    Sorry if this sounds like a daft question,but i'm new to all of this.

Thanks

Tim

ProfiliPro does not run the machine. It just generates g-code with "instructions" how to cut wing.
    My CNC USB Controller uses this g-code to run the machine. It works through USB port only.

Andrej
    CNC USB controller - http://www.planet-cnc.com

hi kroko. i have made usb controler from your schematics, and im wondering can i use it with other softwares accept yours?

At this moment controller only works with my software.

hi,
    how will u make .dxf files for hot wire cnc foam cutter-for models other than air-foils. because u can not make other models using profili.
    example : on xy plane i want circle
    on uv plane i want square
    how will you prepare .dxf/g-code for this?

With G-Code it is simple. Use X, Y axes for one side and U, V for other.
    I attached an example.

With two .dxf files it is not so simple any more.
    Until I create simpler solution (I'm already working this) you can do it manualy.

You'll need to combine two dxf files to gcode.
    1. Import first dxf, export it as g-code, only "sort" option checked
    2. Import second dxf, export it as g-code, only "sort" option checked
    3. Open second file in text editor. Change axes X to U and Y to V.
    4. Merge g-code lines from both files.
    Another limitations is, that you can not use arcs because they are not valid in UV plane.
    Attached Files Attached Files