Hi, I have an old Sherline mill I added steppers to and using an old chopper-style controller that died years back so the Sherline was pushed to the back of the garage and I bought a complete used CNC with Gecko controllers.

I'd like to use the Sherline for prototyping PCBs like this...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLQajSRnELc

The Sherlinet has three Superior Electric, Sly-Syn, 6-wire, 2.25vdc, 4.6A with 150-oz-in Holding. I would like to use these motors as it all worked fine way back when. It will only be pushing a pen around so I am not too concerned about stalling or losing steps so getting the full power from them might not be an issue.

I would like to build a low cost controller using either an Aduino or Pi-B as I have one of each un-used. I probably make five PCBs a year so just need the most basic system that will work and cost little.

I have seen the stepper drivers and shields on Amazon but have no idea if they will be adequate for these motors.

Also, it seems that 4-wires are more common these days so can I use the 6-wire steppers?

My preference is leaning towards an Arduino with SD-card instead of the Pi as I am lost with Linux.

Can anyone please point me at what I need to build this?

Thanks