588,208 active members*
4,274 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: CNC Problems

CNC Problems

I am a high school student and we have a CNC machine in our carpentry shop. Myself and another student have been given the task of getting the machine running. We are using BobCAD v21 on a Windows XP platform. The machine was purchased brand new in 1999. It connects to the computer with 2 25 pin cables attached to USB adaptors. We are able to generate the G-Codes and have selected the option to send them, but we cannot get the machine to move. We know that the machine works because it was running on our old platform. BobCAD support has not been able to help us and generally when they call we are not in class so it doens't matter anyway. If anyone can offer any sort of help, that would be wonderful.

thanks,
    justin.

What is the CNC software it is running? I don't mean the CAD/CAM Bobcad program.
    AFAIK, Bobcad does not have a controller program?
    The CAM program send the G code to the machine and then it is run by a Motion control program such as Mach etc.??
    Were the USB adaptors original?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

The USB are not original. they are adaptors we are using to be compatible with the "new" computer. I'm not sure what you are asking... I know nothing of this machine. I just happen to be one of the more technologically inclined students in the class. Could you be more specific?

Please tell us...Type of CNC machine..Lathe or Mill. Brand of machine and what control does it have? Fanuc, Siemens, etc.

I have heard that it is difficult to run a machine thru USB adapters. I think you have parallel cables to the machine, and you need real parallel ports (printer ports). If you don't have two, or even one, you can buy parallel port boards that you just put in the computer and plug into them. The driving CNC software has to know which I/O's are where, so some re-configuration would need to be done. So I've heard...