587,132 active members*
3,357 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC Programming Rates

I need to quotes contract programming work via Email and iges files. The parts are 2D and take about 1 hour each. I was wondering what a fair rate would be.

Thanks

Do you know what a normal rate is in your area? Charge that.

If you are 'hungry' charge a little less. If you are 'swamped' charge a little more.

For 2 to 4 hours of consulting I have no problems saying 120/hr. If it is going to be a couple of days it goes dow to about 80/hr. Long term (3+months) 45/hr is good for my skill set.

My skills are in computer administration, and CNC is a hobby, so that is not my CNC rate.

Now what to charge for your rate, you need to know YOUR bottom line, add 50% to that if you are in business for yourself. Then you are at the MINIMUM I would suggest you accept. 2 to 4 times that as the time frame is shorter is not unreasonable. Add more if you have to cover other expenses (long commutes, per diem, etc)

Well thats my suggestion. Others?

Normal is around $20/hr. I'm just starting out for myself, so I plan to go low, but not too low. I'm leaning toward the $50-$60 range.

i am partially invested in the machines i use. my standard is usually 75 to 100 dollars per hour for a one day contract. if it goes beyond that then i shave off about 20 percent..

Justin

Hello I am a programer now with my job. I have 15 years experance with it. I will be glad to do it for 25$ hr. I have done this with other people over the email before.

I am a apps. Eng. I do this on the side as well and I quote the whole process programing and tooling needed to do the job I charge the rate I make at my job.

Are you comfortable to work with Mastercam X4, if yes are you willing to do contract programming, we are located at Mississauga, canada

Quote Originally Posted by latheguy1 View Post
    I am a apps. Eng. I do this on the side as well and I quote the whole process programing and tooling needed to do the job I charge the rate I make at my job.

If you only charge the rate at your job then you are undercutting anyone that is in business, your employer not only pays your hourly wage but also for your benefits package which can easily add up to several dollars per hour. As a general rule it would not make since to quote any less than 1-1/2 times your hourly rate as you would have software to pay for, hardware to pay for, and your time. If you are using the software from your employer and he doesn't mind, then it's a different story. I'm not sure what Mastercam gets for a copy of 3-axis software but I am sure its more than 10k with probably 1500 to 2k yearly to stay up to date. I don't see how anyone would be willing to work for the same as their day job. Don't forget who pays for a dead $20,000 spindle in a high speed machine if you happen to wipe one out, not at all questioning your abilities as I have seen one of the best 20yr programmers in die mold make a mistake. Don't forget to quote in time for communication, cnc programming requires a decent amount of this as well.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dannystooblue View Post
    If you only charge the rate at your job then you are undercutting anyone that is in business, your employer not only pays your hourly wage but also for your benefits package which can easily add up to several dollars per hour. As a general rule it would not make since to quote any less than 1-1/2 times your hourly rate as you would have software to pay for, hardware to pay for, and your time. If you are using the software from your employer and he doesn't mind, then it's a different story. I'm not sure what Mastercam gets for a copy of 3-axis software but I am sure its more than 10k with probably 1500 to 2k yearly to stay up to date. I don't see how anyone would be willing to work for the same as their day job. Don't forget who pays for a dead $20,000 spindle in a high speed machine if you happen to wipe one out, not at all questioning your abilities as I have seen one of the best 20yr programmers in die mold make a mistake. Don't forget to quote in time for communication, cnc programming requires a decent amount of this as well.

Dan

Nice. I would be interested if you work at a software dealer or a machine dealer. Anyway, someone is getting hosed. Do YOU own the resources you are using?

buyer beware

Quote Originally Posted by DIFF OVER View Post
    Nice. I would be interested if you work at a software dealer or a machine dealer. Anyway, someone is getting hosed. Do YOU own the resources you are using?

Yes, I do own my own resources, and I have for about 8 yrs, do you? I am not a software dealer but I do know a couple, know a few machine dealers as well. I would be interested in knowing if you own your resources, if your willing to talk to the software company who's software you choose to use in person?

I don't see any difference between using pirated software and outright stealing hardware. If a person is willing to pirate software they they are probably willing to do their best to pirate your customers, your car, wife, or your money. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Danny

Usually depends on the complexity of the job at hand, per hour rates
    2.5 - 3 axis part usually $35.
    4 axis part usually $45-50.
    5 axis part usually $75.

The quality of the CAM software makes a big difference too, as Delcam Powermill is fully collision/gauge checked from tool, tool holder to model, vices, fixtures etc.

You get what you pay for when it comes to CNC Programming.

Quote Originally Posted by dannystooblue View Post
    Yes, I do own my own resources, and I have for about 8 yrs, do you? I am not a software dealer but I do know a couple, know a few machine dealers as well. I would be interested in knowing if you own your resources, if your willing to talk to the software company who's software you choose to use in person?

I don't see any difference between using pirated software and outright stealing hardware. If a person is willing to pirate software they they are probably willing to do their best to pirate your customers, your car, wife, or your money. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Danny
    Sorry, reading through my post, I wanted to ask latheguy1 that question. I TOTALLY agree with your above statement. There is a HUGE problem of piracy in my area.

I have been contract programming for 3, 4 and 5 axis machines, engineering and sometimes even machining on my customers machines for over 20 years. I rarely do any 2 axis programming because its not worth it.

I charge $75 an hour with a minimum of 4 hours, though I prefer a per job/lot quote. In the past I have gotten severe competition from all types of scum using pirated software or guys doing after hours work from their day job.

They usually quit on really complicated parts, then when the customer comes back to me I add 25% onto the original quote for aggravation and teach them a lesson..;-)

In todays economy with all of the layoffs that have happened it is necessary for people to feed thier family. I can tell you this first hand,at 57 yrs old this industry is a tough place to be rehired to, given everyone(employers) want young and cheep. However you do get what you pay for. As I have had to start my own company,which include taxes ,insurance, state fees,gov fees ,chasing jobs and bussiness that never bear fruit,and the customers that never pay. I have found that a min of $75.00 an hour is fair.
    Remember Uncle Sam will take a large chunk of the money,(40+%),so after that that 75.00 turns into just enough to make ends meet maybe. If any of these company actually thought about what they are hiring,no insurance, and no skin in the game ,if they crash the machine ($100k+) because of a rookie mistake the company has no recourse,were as if they hire a well experienced pro that has his ducks in a row the company that hires said programer is protected . There will always be that company that values cheep over good,and we can only hope that carma works,but I try not to judge people because many people are put into situations by thier employer that makes it necessary to do anything to make more money. I suppose what I am trying to say maybe its time for the bussiness world to start thinking about social responsibility. A responsable bussiness hires responsible people otherwise they get what they pay for.

cnc outsource

I have 25 years experience programming and setting up machines.I currently
    use catia and Surfcam.I can use just about any data.give me try you wont
    be dissapointed

I am a part time cnc programmer. I am comfortable with master cam X5 and X6. I can provide programming service via email at very affordable price.