588,563 active members*
5,460 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > CNC Project !! AMA25LV (G0704) Mill !!!!!!!
Page 13 of 28 3111213141523

Re: CNC Project !! AMA25LV (G0704) Mill !!!!!!!

"...there for it will be clamping on 4.75mm on each shaft, will this be enough" - You're kidding, right? That might work for about 2 minutes... with no load... if you're lucky....

Regards,
    Ray L.

Quote Originally Posted by SCzEngrgGroup View Post
    "...there for it will be clamping on 4.75mm on each shaft, will this be enough" - You're kidding, right? That might work for about 2 minutes... with no load... if you're lucky....

Regards,
    Ray L.
    I agree, the clamping type are suspect of slipping, I got done because the screw type were on back order, you can drill, tap and use a set screw to concert them. If your shafts have a flat they will hold well once this is done.

Regarding the tightness at the ends of the table, have you verified your ballscrew on the X axis is not going into a bind? If the the bearing carriers at each end of the table are not concentric with the ballnut center. The screw will begin to bind near the ends of the table travel where the flexibility is reduced due to the shorter remaining ballscrew span.

You can check it with a dial indicator gauge mounted to the mill base and have it ride in a grove of the ball screw, as the table moves watch and see how much movement you have, it usually becomes more pronounced near the end of travel if its out of alignment.

If its out, you can take this time to center the outer bearing carriers or ballnut mount, both may need to be adjusted to get it right. This will help smooth things out as well and reduce drag and vibration from the screw "whipping".

If you didn't do this during initial assembly with the ball screws, it would be a good idea to go through and get it lined up now before trouble shooting any other symptoms.

Hope that helps!

Chris

Ok, "some" of my order has come and they look like complete rubbish ! They sent the incorrect parts and they look quite poor quality for the money. I've arranged to send them back so I'm now yet again in the hunt for some bloody couplers. Does any one any where in the world know where I can get the couplers I need. I've never had so much hassle finding parts like this hahahahah

Quote Originally Posted by onocyclone View Post
    Ok, "some" of my order has come and they look like complete rubbish ! They sent the incorrect parts and they look quite poor quality for the money. I've arranged to send them back so I'm now yet again in the hunt for some bloody couplers. Does any one any where in the world know where I can get the couplers I need. I've never had so much hassle finding parts like this hahahahah
    Here you go! This is from the US, but they are Ruland top quality.

McMaster-Carr

You can mix and match metric and inch sizes. I suggest if they are in stock getting the set screw type but if you get the clamp style you can drill tap and add a set screw and they won't slip.

Chris

That place looks awesome ! It has everything I need but is across the pond. Does anyone know if I could get any in the uk ?

That place looks awesome ! It has everything I need but is across the pond. Does anyone know if I could get any in the uk ?
    Perhaps contact Ruland direct and ask for a supplier near you?

McMaster-Carr is also next to impossible to buy from if you're not in the US, even if it is only nuts and bolts.

Ive tried to order from them and the lock the website down and i can't view anything now ! They're really trying to sell it to ya aint they !!

Anyone else in the uk available ?

I'm glad to say I have FINALY found some decent couplets in the UK !

If anyone wants Ruland Couplers in the UK search for RS Components. They have a fair range of the make. It's cost me £60 for 1 axis !! Let's hope they are as good as their reputation

On another note I received the Chinese version of the Tormach tool holders and I have to say I'm impressed ! They look very high quality and feel great !

I do have one issue however, I purchased a 3/4" MT3 spindle collet to hold the tool holders and the collet touches the inaccurate part of the holder. The face of the spindle does not contact the machined face of the holder. I'm tempted to cut the spindle collet down a bit so it contacts correctly.

Also for those that own the Tormach tool holders do you have to hit the draw bar to release the tool holder ? I've seen in videos people just undo the draw bar and the tool drops out.

Cheers,

Olly

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423230633.423482.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	254.1 KB 
ID:	267648

Sometimes I do have to hit the draw bar. Sometimes not.
    You will need to true up the spindle end. Then you can expect clean tool drops.
    Lee

On another note I received the Chinese version of the Tormach tool holders and I have to say I'm impressed ! They look very high quality and feel great !

I do have one issue however, I purchased a 3/4" MT3 spindle collet to hold the tool holders and the collet touches the inaccurate part of the holder. The face of the spindle does not contact the machined face of the holder. I'm tempted to cut the spindle collet down a bit so it contacts correctly.

Also for those that own the Tormach tool holders do you have to hit the draw bar to release the tool holder ? I've seen in videos people just undo the draw bar and the tool drops out.

Cheers,

Olly
    The Tormach collet is machined flat on the end special for that purpose. Chuck up a piece of 3/4" stock in it and machine it flat so the new holder seat against spindle nose.

I purchased a 3/4" MT3 spindle collet to hold the tool holders and the collet touches the inaccurate part of the holder. The face of the spindle does not contact the machined face of the holder. I'm tempted to cut the spindle collet down a bit so it contacts correctly.
    The Tormach TTS collet is shorter than a normal 3/4" collet, so that is probably why the holder is not touching the spindle face.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423247276.476347.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	270.9 KB 
ID:	267676

I think your collet should be in a bit farther than that?

Andrew

Something is massively wrong there. Even a regular Morse taper collet should be almost flush with the end of the spindle. A TTS Morse collet should be within about 0.05" of the spindle nose. Either that collet is hugely under-sized, or your spindle taper is hugely under-sized. No collet, of ANY taper, should EVER stick out anywhere near that far.

Regards,
    Ray L.

Right. It should seat right on the spindle nose.
    Lee

Where did you get the tool holders from?

Page 13 of 28 3111213141523