587,115 active members*
2,919 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC router 4'x8' & 3'x7' plywood

I have designed a kayak and would like the panels cut from (4) 3mm 3'x7' door skins and (1) 5.2mm 4'x8' plywood sheets.

I have AutoCAD files or can provide DXF. I have already laid out the panels on the sheets because I would like to use different colored woods for different parts of the kayak.

I can provide the material if necessary. The 5.2mm plywood would be birch veneer on one side (I am open to other options). For the door skins, I would like to find out what veneers are available.

Here is an image to give you an idea of what it looks like. The different background colors represent different wood facings.

I have some space left so I may still add some parts.

I am located in the Santa Rosa area (northern California).

Also, I'm interested in prices for two of each and one of each. If you are using a DIY router, please be sure it cuts accurately. The more accurate, the easier it is to built the kayak.

THANKS!
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

I didn't see the image of what it would look like.

I would be interested in quoting. You can send the image or information to
    [email protected]

hello i'm from rohnert park just down the road from santa rosa. there is a router place in the industrial area of RP i think its called "the cnc shop"? if i drive by in the next couple of days i'll pass on the info to you.
    i would cut it for you but im booked for a few months (projects for the wife and for Rancho cotatie HS)

Quote Originally Posted by roonster71 View Post
    hello i'm from rohnert park just down the road from santa rosa. there is a router place in the industrial area of RP i think its called "the cnc shop"?
    Thanks roonster! I'm actually in Cotati. I'll google "The CNC Shop" Thanks again!

Cris

Edit: I googled and found their address - they are just over a mile away! THANKS!!!
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." Antoine de Saint-Exupery (1900 - 1944)

Thanks to all who responded! I have awarded the job to a TheCNCshop.

Hi Hawk.
    Any chance you would share that file? Looks like something I'd like to try routing.

Pike

My Equipment:
    Gerber Edge II www.gspinc.com
    Gerber envision
    Vortech Router www.vortechcnc.com
    Roland Versacamm www.rolanddg.com

My Software:
    Corel X3
    Vectric Vcarve Pro www.vectric.com
    Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
    Mach www.machsupport.com
    Gerber Omega

Quote Originally Posted by pike88 View Post
    Any chance you would share that file? Looks like something I'd like to try routing.
    Are you planning on building a kayak too?

I have updated the design and it uses four 4'x8' sheets of plywood (instead of 4 3'x7' and 1 4'x8'). One sheet is 5.2mm thick and three are 3mm.

If you are wanting to build a kayak, there is a bit more to it than just having the panels. I don't even know how well everything will fit yet. Plus there are doublers and other reinforcements that are not obvious. It would take some knowledge and experience to make it without have any instructions.

Quote Originally Posted by HawkJET View Post
    Are you planning on building a kayak too?

I have updated the design and it uses four 4'x8' sheets of plywood (instead of 4 3'x7' and 1 4'x8'). One sheet is 5.2mm thick and three are 3mm.

If you are wanting to build a kayak, there is a bit more to it than just having the panels. I don't even know how well everything will fit yet. Plus there are doublers and other reinforcements that are not obvious. It would take some knowledge and experience to make it without have any instructions.
    Who needs instructions - just show me a finished picture :wee:
    Architectural - Prototype - Modeling - Mold / FrogMill - ScanTech 3D Laser - ArtCam Pro
    Foam - Composites - Hardwood (www.dragonxtreme.com)

Quote Originally Posted by DragonXtreme View Post
    Who needs instructions - just show me a finished picture :wee:
    Yeah, I am the same way... but I'm sure you know that not everyone is. I'm just making sure that there are no expectations.

Hey if you don't mind sharing the file, I'd love to give it a shot. All I have to lose is a few sheets of plywood.. Im doing a lot of work for customers and have been trying to think of a project for "fun"..

Thanks!!
    My Equipment:
    Gerber Edge II www.gspinc.com
    Gerber envision
    Vortech Router www.vortechcnc.com
    Roland Versacamm www.rolanddg.com

My Software:
    Corel X3
    Vectric Vcarve Pro www.vectric.com
    Adobe Illustrator & Photoshop
    Mach www.machsupport.com
    Gerber Omega

Quote Originally Posted by pike88 View Post
    Hey if you don't mind sharing the file, I'd love to give it a shot.
    Where are you located? What kind of plywood will you use?

Here are some photo albums of a couple kayaks being built:
    http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/buil...s.php?album=15
    http://www.westcoastpaddler.com/buil...s.php?album=17

The sheets look like this:

The blue shaded one is 5.2mm thick and the rest are 3mm. If the plywood is too thick, it will be difficult to bend and warp the panels as needed.

They need to be cut out and pieced together like this:

The panels shown at the top and bottom are the right and left pieces of the bottom of the hull. They are 5.2mm thick.

It should look something like this:

Where should I send the files?

Re: CNC router 4'x8' & 3'x7' plywood

Hi Hawk.
    I would like to build a kayak, but where I live I can not get kayak building plans.
    Is it possible you send them the files of this plans to my address [email protected], Let me know How much is and how I would pay you for it.
    Paulo