587,999 active members*
2,480 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc router spindle

hey guys i was wondering what type of router spindle you all use,has any one came up with a quiet spindle...say to the tune of a dremel on lowest setting?? i know power and speed pretty much equal noise..also any one try a "build your own" spindle with some type of motor and maybe skate bearings inside a tube of steel?,or if only using an off the shelf router..what brand?and are you pleased with it,for cutter size , power or noise output?..im looking at drywall router from home depot,but i dont have any machine to put it on yet just lookin for ideas..thanks guys ...im always curious
    "witty comment"

I'll be using hitachi router.

There is also stickied thread just above that covers few different kinds of spindles.

Also here is cool idea for spindle:
    http://buildyouridea.com/cnc/spindle_05/spindle_05.html

yeah rustamd..
    ive been watching that site for about 2 years...that guy has alot of good ideas.that spindle idea is exactly what i was refering to,i just didnt know if any one else would understand what i meant by a spindle with a seperate motor unlike a traditional router like a dry wall cutout router...why did you decide on the hitachi?? price ,power,noise level??i would like a variable speed router..to get closer to the correct speed for milling steel if at all possable,
    crs steel @ 110 sfm = about 1700 rpm...would be nice to have one spindle that would be able to turn 1000 rpm with enough power to cut steel ,,but still have the ability to run 30,000 rpm for wood
    anyway.....still lookin..
    "witty comment"

Hitachi can run 8k rpm. small end mill+aluminum+8krpm is possible to mill slowly.

Hitachi is quite, i would say quiter than most routers, soft start, variable speed, etc