587,872 active members*
3,283 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

cnc-STEP machines Z - S720

Hi there

Firstly, hi to all, I hope somebody can help.

I have just purchased the above said machine, and I'm having problems setting it up, any ideas, I need to set how deep to mill, thickness and length of milling tool, ) points, working area etc. etc. Does anyone have a CNC-step machine if so please help.

Thanks

Melville

Hi Melville,

I have the S720, I didn't need to do much to set it up when I received it, I used Mach3 controller software, and BOBCAD for creating toolpaths.

What software are you using? Software, such as BobCAD (or other CAD/CAM software) is needed to create a toolpath that the machine will follow. It's in this software that you determine the depth of cuts, thickness and length of mill tool etc.

Hope you're getting on ok with the machine - I was a complete novice when I received my machine, having never used any CNC equipment or routers/mills before, so hopefully I can help you with any issues you're having!

David

Hi there David

When I bought the machine they suggested using Corel Draw with their CNC machining software (winPC-NC light ) BUT everytime I do a new profect I have to reset the "0 points" the work area / the milling depth etc. Shouldn't it remember everything, eg. it has a work area of 720 x 400 x 110 so its start point etc should remain the same no ?? Me too, an absolute novice, first time, IT WORKS FANTASTICALLY well once I have done about 3 / 4 trial runs and adjusted depth settings, 0 points etc. BUT I MUST DO THIS every time.

I draw my project in Corel draw export it as a plotter HPCL file, open it in winPC-NC light, then I have to go into parameters and setup everything everytime even though I'm working with the same milling bit on the same base with the same thickness of material.

Confused.......................
    Can you help

Thanks

Melville

I have S1000 for engraving and make just 4 different models all the time.
    All parameters is saved with toolpath, and when you load toolpath again, you also load parameters (zero point, tools, depth...).
    But first you MUST save toolpath with WIN-PCNC.

Sadly I can't help regarding PCNC & Corel draw, but I can say that with Mach3 & Bobcad I was up and running pretty quickly and have had no problems that have been hard to overcome.

PCNC & Corel seemed like a steep learning curve to me (less intuitive... I'm not very patient sometimes!). Hope you're getting on well with them though!

David,

I use Solidworks to design my parts and I want to use MasterCam X2 and mach3 with my Z-1000 machine.

Can you please help my with setup?

thank you very much.

Hi Guys,

I'm about to buy this Machine S-720 and I was wondering how good is it?

I'm a graphic designer and Corel Draw is one of the best programs I know, I cant wait to start designing, but I want to know if this machine is worth buying, have any of you had problems with it?

I got laidoff from my work 4 months ago and I need to make a small business out of this machine and my budget is very limited.

Thanks